Gearbox oil

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
billymajor
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gearbox oil

Post by billymajor »

What grade of oil should i use in an 8 speed gearbox on a 954 super six County? I've tried EP90 but it boils under load.

Pascal
True Blue

Re: Gearbox oil

Post by Pascal »

Hi,

Welcome on this board.
I am not sure which oil you should use. Perhaps one of the other members of this board isable to help you.

Do you have a picture of your 954? Great tractors!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi I just checked my 954 book it said use ford spec oil so checked in my ford 5000 book it says SAE 20w/30 or SAE 80 EP . I am in Canada and my book is for an export 5000 so not 100% sure if they used different oil for different climates. Maybe double check with a ford New Holland dealer in your country and see what they say for the 5000. I value my 954 highly and would not want you to add the wrong oil and screw yours up big time as they are pretty rare tractors.
Regards Robert :)
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

5000 tractors had a common gearbox and rear axle sump after about 1970 so if you are using 90W, the hydraulics could be boiling oil that thick.

No Ford tractor since 1959 has used 90W in the gearbox or rear axle in any climate as far as I am aware. Universal 20/30W or Ford 134 is the oil to use.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Brian wrote:5000 tractors had a common gearbox and rear axle sump after about 1970 so if you are using 90W, the hydraulics could be boiling oil that thick.

No Ford tractor since 1959 has used 90W in the gearbox or rear axle in any climate as far as I am aware. Universal 20/30W or Ford 134 is the oil to use.
Hi Brian :) I just looked at my genuine major 4000 and super major 5000 export book again not some unreputable book that I know you dislike from past discussions :wink: . as the question was asked by Billy major it says in my book 8 speed transmission the oils as my last post or I guess if thats been super seeded the replacement ford grade.

it then goes on to list select o speed trans oil as ESN-M2C41-A or oil meeting ford spec.
after this it then goes on to say rear axle oil as ESN-M2C53A or ESEN-M2C86A or oil meeting ford spec or upgrade again I guess.
As it lists the trans and rear axle as separate oils it appears that the gear box and rear axle are seperate on 1965 5000 tractors that the 954 county is built on from what i can tell in the book unless it's just the SOS thats split oil :?: . I cant verify this from my 8 speed 954 as it has had 1 carefull lady owner and 15 idiots before i got it :lol: so i know it has oil in it but is it correct I have no clue until I change it when I restore it.

Just a little edit added here After reading this book more on the maintenance pages it has level plugs on gearbox and axle and drains on both so looks like they are seperate unless the seals go somewhere like the old majors do .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.