boughton winch

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
woodcutter
True Blue

boughton winch

Post by woodcutter »

this is a boughton winch i have on a major, Can any one tell me any thing about it? how old would it be, what would its rated pull be. It says hdf25 on the side. Ive got the spades which are heavy i thought you could pull them back up with the winch, But once folded up the rope need's to be underneath so it take's two to lift them up :roll:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: boughton winch

Post by Bensdexta »

Guy with a 6cyl Super Major and 205 Boughton winch at Newbury Show for last two years:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=7&t=2531
Called Freddie, phone him on 07836 229949!
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I gave him a ring but i did'nt quite get how he's made the arm, to lift the spades up so if any one knows how it's done. Could you send me a picture of how it connect's to the hydraulic arm :? And some measurements :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Looks like he has a bar with some chain attached to the LH lift arm. Not quite sure how this pulls up the spades. Looks as if the bar may be fixed rigidly at the end of the lift arm? Or does it pivot here? He also has a bar attached across the top of the mudguards - not sure if this is anything to do with raising the spades?

Spades are secured in the up position by the link onto the winch body.
Hope you can work it out!! Otherwise you'll have to go to his next threshing demo! :wink:

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Good pictures, Just what i needed thanks for putting them on :D Im going to need to make something to pick mine up. that looks a simple way of doing it, I had planned on a complicated linkage set up :idea: which probly would not of worked, or just a hydraulic ram off the tipper pipe. I shall put sum pictures up on what i come up with.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I made an extension on the lift arm, Like the one in ben's photos and it works really well :D
The extension piece was an old ih434 draw bar, Just the job

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Quick work!
How did you attach the extension bar to the lift arm?
Looks like you have chopped off the RH arm?
Glad to hear it lifts the spades OK :D

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I drilled a hole in the old draw bar and made it a tight fit and welded it to the arm and boxed it in, I kept the original arms as they were a bit good to get butchered but a neighbour gave me some that weren't so, I was going to leave it with no arm on the right but as i had a spare i just cut the end off so it didn't catch on the gear lever of winch. :)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Have you plans to use the winch - for logging perhaps?? :wink:

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Yeah this weekend 8) I sell firewood and i have some large trees that are down on a steep bank which need winching up and a friend of mine has an old bulldozer stuck so iv'e got to rescue that if the ground ever dries up. :)

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I got to test the winch out today and it did it's job well, I had a large ash tree to take down which had a bit of rot in it. And a couple of others around it.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Good work! That lot should keep you busy for a while! What sort of splitter do you use?

A vid would be great if you can manage it sometime ? :wink:

BTW do you know why Freddie has that bar across the tops of his mudguards - anything to do with the winch do you think??

Is there any risk of whiplash if the cable should break? I guess you would get some warning as strands started to part?

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I use a home made log splitter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cN7su9tISo
my brother made a video of us winching yesterday but quality was pretty low :( I'm not sure what that frame is for on the back of freds major, is it just to firm up the rear mudguards maybe :idea:

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I spotted this boughton winch at one of the cambridge sales a few years back and thought the ram installation was a good idea. I have a HDF/2P (if I remember correctly) which has an extra low gear for timber work. Its sat on the back of a 1964 roadless but the gearbox needs some tlc amongst other things so it is currently in hibernation.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Roadless63 wrote:I spotted this boughton winch at one of the cambridge sales a few years back and thought the ram installation was a good idea. I have a HDF/2P (if I remember correctly) which has an extra low gear for timber work. Its sat on the back of a 1964 roadless but the gearbox needs some tlc amongst other things so it is currently in hibernation.
What does the ram do? Is it for raising the spades?

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

Yes its a single acting ram to raise spades/anchors. Should be fully extended and rod end attached to the clevis on the spades which is visible in picture. Gravity would retract ram for lowering and when it digs in it needs to be free to drop onto the stops hence a double acting cylinder would not be a lot of good.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I was going to do that with a ram, But i didn't have any suitable rams lying around. And by using the lift arm seemed a lot less fab work, and cheap :D do you remember how much that winch sold for.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Bit of an update, Been using the winch quite a bit lately since the ground has dried up :) I need to buy my self some chokers as iv'e only got a couple of chain's which are very heavy. So if any one got some they want to sell i may be interested :wink:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Boughton winch

Post by Bensdexta »

Glad to see she's working well.
Those are massive rearwheels you got. :wink:

Bensdexta
True Blue

Re: Boughton winch

Post by Bensdexta »

Posted in error!