Ford crawler

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Ford crawler

Post by BearCreek Majors »

You guys ever run across one of these, that is one nice looking crawler. I believe a company in France built these using IH running gear, TD9 to be exact, of which I have a spare………probably doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out what’s going through my head at the moment.

Pat

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Ford crawler

Post by henk »

Mailam started in 1950 at Venice Italy. The comp. was founded by Segattini.

Every year at the show At Panningen in Holland there's a guy who shows several of these tractors.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?ci ... parid=root
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Henk, have you got a close look at these? I’ve been looking at the transmissions, bellhousing, etc, and I would have to guess that they just "repowered" the IH with the Ford engine using the entire IH tranny and everything else behind it. The boys and I are thinking we can drag my spare parts TD9 out of the weeds, use the 6D engine that will be left over when we get the 590E in the Supersix, and then it’s just a matter of making frame rails, mounting a Major tombstone, radiator, fuel tank and hood. It doesn’t look like I even need to make an adapter plate for the engine/bell housing as the TD9 engine is not bolted to the bell housing, rather it is attached by the side frame rails. The ford engine has the 4 bolt holes on each side in the same basic area, only needing to make some brackets to adapt.

Pat

henk

Post by henk »

Pat,

I heard that story before about the IH parts, but can't help you about the rest.
Maybe the other Dutch visiters of Panningen and this forum know.
Kind regards, Henk

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Pat,

There was one for sale in The Netherlands a few weeks ago.
According to this website, it should be a 2703E engine.
http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Mailam
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Pat,

From what I remember seeing at the Panning show the whole Ford Skid unit is used in the tractor, including gearbox and rear axle housing.

I can imagine the differential, half shaft and trumpets being replaced for other units.

Don't think the IH gearbox ratios will fit the Ford engine speeds (nor will be able to withstand te power of a proper make of engine ;) ) I don't think the gear reduction is too little.

Best regards
Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Emiel, that’s not what I wanted to hear! I would have to think adapting the ford trany and rear end would be a lot more work. I did read in one other post I ran across that stated the TD9 trany and rear end was being used, but I have to side more with your thoughts on gear ratios and the ability of the gears to handle anything more than the hp of a stock 4cyl major engine.

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

OK I just found this, yes they did use the Ford transmission but attached it to the TD9 rearend. They were also using the newer series TD9 that was running a 75 hp six cylinder. If you look at the pic of the rear of my spare unit you can see some of the similarities like the round access holes above the hitch, (the covers are off mine).

Pat

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

Hi you see these in the pom mags sometimes they were made in 6 aand 4 mostly 4 i think some with selectospeed aparantly trans is a copy of td9 but not interchangeable one story is that when county were changeing from fordsons to 5000 thay asked these guys to design a new trans for the county crawler but they knocked them back then a while later bought out there own b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

henk

Post by henk »

According to my friend Dies, they first used a Ford engine and parts together with the rear end of a TD6 and later until the seventy's a TD9.
There fore it had no 3p lift.
Kind regards, Henk

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Henk, I would have to agree with your frend Dies, as the Major pictured in the link you posted earlyer appers to have only 4 idlers on the bottom of the track rails, the TD9's have 5.

But as of this afternoon my kids may have found me a County. they spoted somthing parked alongside a barn an houre or so frome here, they havent got a close enough look to be sure, but they swear its blue. tomorrow Im going for a ride.

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Did I mention that both of my kids are colorblind! It ended up being a little IH skidder, I have to admit it not like anything Ive seen before. as soon as I can find my USB cable for my phone Ill get a pic posted.

Pat