New member saying hi

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Chris Dk
Not Quite Blue Yet

New member saying hi

Post by Chris Dk »

Hi all

My name is Christian and i live in Denmark, hence the name Chris Dk as user name.

I recently acquired a Ford County and like to know more about it, year of birth, witch model it is converted from (assuming it's from a 5000), so any help on how to figure that out, will be appreciated.

It's actually a quite interesting build, assuming it started its life as a Ford 5000, it then got converted to a county, then again it was converted once more, to a fork lift and on top of that, a crane was added :shock: , but to me, it's a fantastic machine, when building a house as i am.

Any help and input will be appreciated.
Christian

Heavy converted County
"The Thing"
1965 Unimog U65 cabrio
And a few sportscars

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: New member saying hi

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Welcome aboard Christian!
I am going to guess it’s a 1124 based on the 5000 running gear, there is a nice article on the 1000 series Counties in the March issue of Tractor & Machinery.
It’s amazing all the different equipment that were made for or based on the Counties.
Looks like you got a nice project to work on.

Pat

Chris Dk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Chris Dk »

Hallo Pat and thank you for your warm welcome.

You guess its a 1124 based on the 5000 platform, how can you tell it's a 5000 platform, i only assume it is, based up on the square rear fenders and the bracing at the right side of the engine.

Isn't there some kind of indication plate or number stamped somewhere, something that will tell more about it.

Here is one more photo of "The Thing"

And from the inside:

Heavy converted County
"The Thing"
1965 Unimog U65 cabrio
And a few sportscars

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Because of the length its a six cylinder.
Since it has the vents on both sides of the hood I think this is a 954.
1004 and 1124 had a flat spot on the same area on the hood that said "County 1124" and "County 1004".

All of those year countys were build on the big ford (the 5000). Later they build on 6600.

I could need a crane like that :)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Chris Dk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Chris Dk »

Hallo Frode (neighbor :D )

This County has the bracing witch i have read came on the 1024, ill try to take a photo of it later.
Heavy converted County
"The Thing"
1965 Unimog U65 cabrio
And a few sportscars

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Frode is going to know more about this one than I do. You may want to do a search in the “World Series” forum for info on ID'ing the engine/ running gear. Doing a Google image search for County may help you ID it also, as Frode says the hood is a dead giveaway.
The early county’s all had a brass ID tag on them and I would have to guess yours did as well, I believe Frode had a picture posted of one of his.

Pat

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Wow, it just realied this one has the steering wheel in the back :) I guess its reverse drive :) thats so cool :)

I still think it is a 954, but I'm no guru. My 654 has a metal tag on the front cowling. I think yours should have one too, either on one of the mud gards or on the cowling.
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Chris Dk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Chris Dk »

Yes Frode it's turned around, it's much like a fork lift, i believe it's a company in the UK that have made the conversion, something i came across during all my county research.

I have been doing a whole lot of reading on this forum before joining, trying not to ask all those newbe questions, i'm pretty sure i read that the 924 didn't have the bracing on the right side of the engine, have a look at the photo.

To me it doesen't matter all that much if it is one or another model, what's important is to figure out what model year 5000 it was born as, you see, when i'm done molesting "The Thing" while building, i like to convert it back to be a County, using a 5000 as a donor and then take the fork lift and crane and convert the 5000, get the point ?

Pat please explain "world series" forum to me.

Christian
Heavy converted County
"The Thing"
1965 Unimog U65 cabrio
And a few sportscars

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

I dont think the bracing is from County. My guess is this is something for the subframe for the crane or forklift. Its build on the 1964-1968 Ford 5000.

If I'm not wrong I think converting it to forward drive again is just a matter of fitting the crown wheel on the other side of the differential.
frode

1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

Chris Dk
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Chris Dk »

Okay, i had to do a little search to find the thread http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 004#p25334 this is the bracing i posted a photo of, reading this post again, have made me believe i have a 1004, what year were they produced ?

Christian
Heavy converted County
"The Thing"
1965 Unimog U65 cabrio
And a few sportscars