raised pto and x shaft bushes

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
taff866
Not Quite Blue Yet

raised pto and x shaft bushes

Post by taff866 »

Hi all

Does anyone know of where I can get any Information on Raised Pto for Super Major or a copy.
And is this statement correct, All Roadless Super Majors were non live drive if so why!! as I have 2 roadless supers and both are live drive 1961 and 1964 and need any info on replacement of clutch and brake x shaft bushes and reaming of
thanks

david

Roadless63
True Blue

Re: raised pto and x shaft bushes

Post by Roadless63 »

Hi, I think the majority of the Roadless tractors were probably single clutch as they were often used for heavy cultivation work and the single clutch option was probably cheaper and possibly heavier duty than the live version. I have a '63 live and a '64 non live.
The original fordson repair manual has a section on raised PTO, what exactly do you need to know

Regards
Ed

taff866
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by taff866 »

hi Ed

Thanks for that info, People come up and ask me at shows about my Roadless and they cant understand why she has raised pto when they say she is non live drive, and when i say she is live drive, they think that I am out of my head so I have to jump on the tractor and prove to them it is live.

One Guy got so overbearing I had to politely ask him to go away, My take on Raised PTO is that at 1850rpm the output at the pto is 540 as apposed to 1500rpm at 540 also u can disengage pto without affecting hydraulics and also the raised pto is higher from the draw bar.

This is the same as the Empire Blue saga, I have looked into this an believe that there was only one ever paint and the disparity between pigments within the paint at times can give a lighter colour. Because if u think about it, like nowhere days time is money so when they brought in the NP Super in Late 63 why would they change the blue when they knew this was goin to be a limited production run because of the pending manufacture of the 1000 series and the blue for that tractor is darker.

The debate as to the gray on the wheel rims is another issue people say it was white, well again I can offer an explanation for this. I have a friend who is a farmer he bought 2 NP Super Majors one was bought in April 64 and the other in July 64 the latter Tractor is all white and the earlier one is all gray and we had the colours checked. So I think that Fordson would do anything to get a tractor out.

Still need help with the clutch and brake x shaft bushes and ream does anyone have an idea !!
Thanks
David

OH Happy New Year to everyone

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

hi,
Certainly live drive Roadless Fordsons are in the minority (I dont think any 6/4 Roadless were live because of the extra power they probably all had the single plate h.duty clutch fitted)
I think you have pretty much summed up the raised PTO (I have one waiting to go on my Roadless), it gave more horse power at the PTO by running the engine at higher rpm. The N P Super Major had a different PTO ratio under the gearbox (to give more hp at PTO without need for fitting raised PTO), therefor they modified the raised PTO and made it a 1:1 ratio, on these tractors you will see the tacho has just one marker for PTO speed whereas the blue/orange supers (and all earlier majors) have a mark for both PTO and raised PTO. The raised PTO is great since it allows the hydraulics to be used without the PTO turning at the back, also for using attachments such as balers it gives a better PTO angle (without a raised PTO the drawbar and PTO are quite close). On a county crawler with a correct hitch the PTO cannot be used unless a raised PTO is fitted.
Sorry can't offer much help on the bushes but suggest you try posting on the forsdon major board as a lot more people will see the question!