Hydraulics query.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Hydraulics query.

Post by marveltone »

Earlier this summer I used my FMD to disc a field. The disc (Kewanee 130) was raised via hydraulic cylinder. This was no problem, so I assumed everything was well. As it turns out, I have a mower conditioner (John Deere 1209) that needs a considerable amount of hydraulic pressure to raise. I cannot raise it, no matter what. The manual recommends 1300 PSI. We tested the hydraulic pressure at the rear remotes and only got 700 PSI. This seems rather low to me. Should it be higher? Is there a way to improve it?

Thoughts?

Joe
1957 Fordson Major Diesel.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Re: Hydraulics query.

Post by scoobyjim »

Pressure should be around 2000. You definately have something the matter. Could be anything. Probably pump.

marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by marveltone »

Where is the pump and how does one get to it? Is there a rebuild kit available somewhere?

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

According to the information that I have gathered on this site :mrgreen: , the pump is between the two bull pinion gears. It is mounted on a pedestal and you must remove the hydraulic top cover to get to the pump...

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, hope everyone is doing well.
Joe, you may want to look back at some of my old posts. I had to replace the hydraulic pump in my Power Major because of a crack in the pump. There are pictures that shows the pump in the Major I took it out of, along with pictures of the cracked pump, and you can see what it looks like still in the tractor. You may just have a problem with the unloading valve or just an o ring. The top you have to remove is heavy so you will need something to lift it or some good help. Also you can remove the pump out of the bottom, which I did, but it was a pain to get the replacement back in, I believe it is easier to take it out of the top. The pumps can not be rebuilt I have been told so hope it is something like the seal, unloading valve or o rings. Try to put up pictures on here, everyone likes to see the pics. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Gman, I did a search to try to post the old thread here but could not come up with anything with any photos. Maybe the photos have not stuck? Also would need the title it was under to help these folks out. Thanks, Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hi Dave, my post is under "hydraulic pump removal" dated 4/22/10, it has 3 pages of posts. I don't know how to tie it to this reply but I looked and on page 3 there is a pic of the top off and you can see the pump inside. A lot of info on that post regarding pump removal.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

marveltone
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by marveltone »

Thanks for all the responses so far! Lots to absorb. BTW...My dad just reminded me that I have an uncle, who's FMD has a hydraulic pump mounted on the front to power his backhoe. I presume it runs off the crank, or such, which would lead to full-time live hydraulics. I may have to zip on over his way and see how he has it set up. Perhaps this would be viable option for me?

Joe