new fordson super major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

new fordson super major

Post by wee blue tractor fan »

Been offered a super major and think it might be a new performance major.The engine no is o8d 947926 would that tie in with the last majors manufactured?
The tractor is pretty much all there just in rough condition the only thing that is not on the tractor is the flow control and selector valve . The valve was recently removed and put on a super major to check the hydraulics and left on it when sold . That was not at fault and he will give me the other control valve of the earlier super major. If this is a later super will the control valve be interchangeable. If anyone could help with these questions I would appreciate it.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: new fordson super major

Post by Brian »

She is February 1964 so built in the last few months of production. The ASC from any Super, Dexta or Super Dexta will fit. Check that she is not an ASP, she should have a drop control on the front of the lift and "FL" on the cylinder head between the injector pipes.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Thanks Brian for that. The cylinder head does say FL on it and it does have an alloy tap under the seat the only thing is I think it only has a single stage clutch would the new performance major still be sold with a single clutch .Also what other clues would I be looking for to tell if she is a bitsa ?

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Rev counter from back of mechanical governed pump. Rear top.link bracket should pull in at the top pin not either side of yoke like supers. Gearbox should have fomoco cast into left side. Double clutch was still an option with new performance.

wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Thanks scoobyjim for those pointers. I went and had another look and I am quite sure it is a NP super major. I managed to do a deal and buy this major along with two other major diesel's and A ford 4600 .The NP major has no linkage arms or top link bracket :cry: (i have been told i have more chance of winning the lottery than finding one of those and i don't play the lottery). I can use the arms etc of one of the other majors but was wondering would the top link bracket of a super major fit ?

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

A super one will fit yes. There is a guy on ebay selling a np one. Will probably come back on this weekend £155. I need one for my project but im not buying it off him as he is one of the most ignorant and aragant men ive ever dealt with. I would rather wait and pay more from someone else.

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi - as with regards to your top link bracket issue - do you have any bracket or are you just missing the "rocker part" - yes and super top link bracket will fit and any ther major linkage will fit - but for originality you want a super leveling box - which you can buy repro versions - and if you need a complete top link bracket & rocker - you can buy all of that from the same person - but it's not cheap - :beer: hi scooby jim - and as to the seller on eBay - I do find him rather expensive but he's been gd with my sales - but bit pricey - :cry:
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Do you have any linkage parts or top link parts for sale. Need some to finish my project.
Thanks

fnoller
True Blue

Post by fnoller »

Hi

At http://www.agrilineproducts.com they got the liftarms for sale :D

Regards

Kenneth
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

scoobyjim wrote:A super one will fit yes. There is a guy on ebay selling a np one. Will probably come back on this weekend £155. I need one for my project but im not buying it off him as he is one of the most ignorant and aragant men ive ever dealt with. I would rather wait and pay more from someone else.
not jturbo by any chance

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Ha yes chris that's is the man !!
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

Mjg1705 wrote:Ha yes chris that's is the man !!
aka bitsofthisbitsofthat and shirl.....

wee blue tractor fan
Not Quite Blue Yet

thanks for the comments folks. Mjg 1705 the only part i need is the rocker part and one of the other majors has super major leveling box . Scoobyjim i see the parts listed on ebay and it seems the seller is a "character" However I think i am getting ahead of myself . Before i even get to the major I have to remove two threshing mills ,then a couple of binders , an old trailed reaper and a few other bits and pieces . Next I will need to see if it starts . The engine turns over by hand and the exhaust has a can on it so I am hopeful it will run . I then have to remove the winch off the back and refit the ASC valve before I can test the hydraulics . Then maybe I can start to make a list and start looking for bits