Removing large transmission gear

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Laurie
True Blue

Removing large transmission gear

Post by Laurie »

When I started the renovation of my Major ( non Live Drive) I knew that I had a problem with the gearbox and managed to obtain a spare box. In the event I repaired the existing box but it makes sense to keep the bits and pieces from the spare just in case.

I do not want to keep the casing because of its size and weight but wanted to remove the large transmission gear and the upper shaft.The Repair Manual indicates that shock methods should not be used and to use tool Tr/MD7150-A. I do not have this of course nor do I have access to a hydraulic press.
Any ideas how this can be done using commercially available tools?

Cheers

laurie

scoobyjim
True Blue

Re: Removing large transmission gear

Post by scoobyjim »

is this the one at the rear of the box. the one that is left after you have removed the cartridge within the box housing all the gears?

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Yes thats the one. Removing the primary gearbox as a unit takes out most of the gears and the transmission brake but leaves the upper shaft and the large transmission gear.

Cheers

Laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Once the primary gearbox has been removed the upper shaft can be slid out leaving the upper bearing cup in place. You can then remove the large gear by placing a block of wood over the end of the output shaft and a gving it a judicious tap with a hammer. It pops out easily. You can then remove the large Hoffman bearing. You can also pop out the blanking bung and tap out the bearing cup for the upper shaft.

You can see why I needed to do mine. :cry:

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Thanks Adrian
I will give that a try and report back in due course. I was a bit reluctant to use a hammer in view of what it said in the manual but as always it is the engineers best tool !

Cheers

Laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Laurie

Here it is with the large gear/final drive shaft and Hoffman bearing removed. Goodly amount of gunge found in the rear transmission tunnel as you can see. What was yours like? Made me fear for the hydraulic pump but it turned out to be just fine, putting out 2,250 lbs per sq in. Someone told me years ago that the Major hydraulic pump will happily pump squashed bananas! Looks like he might have been right!

Best

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

I love that crane you have. Is it home made or readily available?
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Steven

I had it made by an excellent local steel fabrication company. I'll post some more photos if you'd like to copy the design.

Best

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Hi Adrian
Interesting pictures. When I collected my spare gearbox it was hoisted into my trailer with a block and tackle attached to the cross beam of the chaps rather ramshackle garage. I was a bit concerned that the weight might bring the whole thing down because it certainly creaked a bit under the strain.

Not sure about the gunge or lack of it at the rear end of my actual tractor because I only split it at the clutch housing. However the PTO shaft came out looking pretty clean and the oil in the rear end was also in reasonable condition it even though I do not think that it had been changed for some years. All nice new stuff in there now though.

I think that you are right in that the rear ends were very well engineered and will cope with most things including a bit of neglect.

Cheers Laurie

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Hi Adrian

I have got the large transmisson gear and the upper shaft out OK. Thanks for the tip. However before I get too heavy handed do both the bearings just drive out of the gearbox casing and am I right in assuming that it is done from the outside rather than the inside of the casing ?

Cheers

Laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Laurie
Yes, both bearings tap out from the outside inwards. Both come out relatively easily - an interference fit as you would expect. Here's a photo of the large bearing which I put back in again. It was never starved of oil as the higher one was and was consequently in perfect order. No play at all.

Best

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Adrian. Thanks for the speedy response but I am a bit confused now (easily done). I have got the large bearing out OK by a bit of a tap from the inside of the gearbox casing because it fits up against a machined face. Bit like yours it seems to be in perfect condition and so should prove to be a useful spare if ever I need one.

However, so far have not been able to remove the upper shaft bearing but as it does not seem to fit up against a machined face I guess it will come out either way. I will give it another bash (literally) tomorrow. It is easy to see how this bearing can run dry if the gearbox oil level drops too low as a result of oil transfer into the rear axle. I assume that the plug ( is this what they call a Welsh plug ?) is enough to stop any oil transferring from the gearbox to the rear axle via this particular bearing as there is no oil seal fitted

Thanks again for you help
Regards
Laurie.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Laurie

My apologies. I should have checked my photos. There is indeed a machined shoulder on the inside of the large bearing housing. My advice was therefore completely wrong! :oops: :run:

Re the upper shaft bearing cup I am certain that this one taps inwards as the photo below shows.

Best

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Hi Adrian
Got the upper shaft bearing out Ok. Much easier when you are trying to get it to go the right way ! I used a large socket and a hammer and it came out with a few light taps.
Just in case anyone follows this thread in the future , the large bearing sits against a machined face and taps out from inside the gearbox . The small bearing also sits against a machined face but taps out from the outside of the gearbox.

As a matter of interest the bearing on the upper shaft was a smaller version of that for the large transmission gear. The picture of your damaged bearing posted on 29th October looks more like a roller type . Perhaps they were changed for the Power Majors.

Regards

laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Laurie

Glad you got there despite the best efforts of someone to confuse the issue! :stress:

Here's a photo of the shaft on my NP Super. I replaced the bearings and cups at both ends of the shaft for good measure, just in case the shaft running out of true had damaged the bearing that was still intact. Yes, both were two-piece roller bearings. Have you got a photo of the corresponding bearing on your Power Major? Is it a two-piece bearing?

I'd love to see some photos of your Major too.

Best

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Hello Adrian

I have posted some (not particulary clear) photos of the two bearings. I think that they are from different manufacturers but are of essentially the same design.
My tractor is not a Power Major though.
Hope to post some more pictures of her shortly
Cheers laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Laurie

Interesting. Not a two-piece bearing. What year is your Major?

Best

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Adrian
My major was built around 18-24 Jan 1957 according to the various casting codes. The serial number is Jan 1957 and it was first registered in March 1957.

Cheers
Laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Laurie
Look forward to seeing some photos of your Major. What do you use her for?

Best

Laurie
True Blue

Post by Laurie »

Adrian.
The question of what I will use her for is a very good one and one often asked by my understanding and long suffering wife " why are you spending so much time and money on a tractor for which we have no real use?"

Well, the thing is the tractor is a part of our family history now. I bought on behalf of the crickect club back in 1985. I have a picture of my daughter, who was 12 at the time ,aboard her ( picture below) and also pictures of her children in the drivers seat .There is a bit more info on my post called " Back on her own feet" The link is

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 540#p38721

Probably if she was a "bitsa"tractor I would not have bothered quite so much but she is very much original and basically too good to lose.

She has done very little work over the past 10 years or so and frankly could do with a good work out. I will probably use her to cut the cricket outfield and a good session pulling a very heavy roller will do her the power of good. Other than that i will try to show her at local events.

Hoping to get her home on Friday having given her a short road test today.

Cheers

laurie

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Laurie

Lovely tractor with a great history. My daughter has also shared my love of Majors (to be honest, she didn't get much choice in the matter!) but now she's a teenager she's more interested pony power than horse power! :D What a wonderful job for your Major, keeping the cricket green looking perfect. In addition, if you can, it would be good to get her behind a plough or a sub-soiler on a local farm every now and then, just to blow out the cobwebs.

By the way, pulling a set of gang mowers can sometimes be a bit dicey. If you don't believe me ......

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/o ... nzNNQsX20J

:yikes:

Best

ps Two classic bits of engineering in one photo - for some reason one of the drivers felt the need to get out of his cab! :shock:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Actually, think that might be a hay tedder. :idea:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Wise old Injun say, "Only Big Chief in Washington can afford to plow field with Jet plane." :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major