More on Stabiliser bars

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

More on Stabiliser bars

Post by Bensdexta »

I'm coming to the conclusion that I need some ajustable stabiliser bars...... :scratchhead:

Just measured the spacing between the lower link pins on 3 of my implements and it varies from 25" to 31". I see the standard for CAT 1 is 26", but with so many implements made CATI/CATII, the spacing was never going to be standard.

Clearly this affects the length of the stab bars, so my good old fixed length flat bars with a hole in each end are not going to work for all implements.

I see some folk are using short adjustable stab bars, eg the red bottle-screw ones available from Agriline et al. However this bar goes from under the axle to the mid-point along the lower arm. But these short bars put a sideways bending load on the lower arm, not good....

So I'm wary of the short bars and would prefer an adjustable bar that runs all the way to the implement lower link pin, as this is stronger - I've already broken two stabiliser pins with my harrow, so stab bars need to be robust.

Is anyone using chains in place of stab bars - that's chains on the outside of the lower arms, in addition to the inner check chains? Might have some advantages as one could run them a bit slacker for harrows etc for a bit more 'give'.

So what stabiliser bars are you using and why...??

TIA :wink:
Last edited by Bensdexta on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

brownsmule
True Blue

Re: More on Stabiliser bars

Post by brownsmule »

IMHO; you are not supposed to use stay-bars with a disc harrow, plow & some other equipment.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

brownsmule wrote:IMHO; you are not supposed to use stay-bars with a disc harrow, plow & some other equipment.
Yes I've heard that said, but opinions vary....

The operating instructions (an FR document) for my harrow, which was designed specifically for the Dexta, recommends fitting both stab bars. My local agmech, says fit one bar for a bit more give.

With no bars, that allows a lot of sway and relies solely on the check chains to keep the lower arms off the tyres.I'm thinking that 'stabiliser chains' might be the answer with a bit of bungee chord to keep them off the ground when slack. And for a harrow, they could be run with more slack to allow a bit more give.
Last edited by Bensdexta on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

for my self I made up my own model of bars. 25mm solid square bar and 25mm square tube with 10mm holes in it to adjust the lenght. However I drilled holes in the lower link moddle between the ball and lift arm and attached there
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

dexta roadless wrote:for my self I made up my own model of bars. 25mm solid square bar and 25mm square tube with 10mm holes in it to adjust the lenght. However I drilled holes in the lower link moddle between the ball and lift arm and attached there
So your bars attach at about the 3/4 length position on the lower arms?

That sounds like a convenient set up, but can you vary the give at all, eg with a slot in the outer square tube? A photo would be interesting. :wink:

I'm wondering if something like this turnbuckle might work as a stabiliser:
http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Catalog ... 0000000000

Some suitable length flat bars could be attached to each end of the turnbuckle, one with a hole to attach to under-axle stabiliser pin and the other to the lower implement pin.

commander
True Blue

Post by commander »

Ben, long adjustable stabilizer bars are common and easy to get here in the states.....

couple of examples :

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/c ... ilizer-arm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tractor-Ad ... 338a03eea3

If you're looking to buy some rather than fabricate your own.
Jack

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

commander wrote:Ben, long adjustable stabilizer bars are common and easy to get here in the states.....
couple of examples :
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/c ... ilizer-arm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Tractor-Ad ... 338a03eea3
If you're looking to buy some rather than fabricate your own.
Many thanks for pointing those out. Yes I now see they are available in Britain also:
Stabiliser Bar - Adjustable Min 25 1/2" - 723mm Max 36"
http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Catalog ... 0000000000.

Those will certainly be useful for some implements, eg my transport box. But think I will still look out some stabiliser chains for implements needing less rigidity. :beer:

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

Yes it is about 3/4 of the lenght. I haven't slot for slight movement just because I don't need it. I made the holes with 2mm different distance on the outer and inner bar. almost like the grading on a calyper. You can see a picture of it here [url]http://ogtf.net/?fordson-dexta-4wd,27[/url]
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

dexta roadless wrote:Yes it is about 3/4 of the lenght. I haven't slot for slight movement just because I don't need it. I made the holes with 2mm different distance on the outer and inner bar. almost like the grading on a calyper. You can see a picture of it here [url]http://ogtf.net/?fordson-dexta-4wd,27[/url]
Interesting Dexta! :clap:

Looks like you have welded a flange along the bottom of your lower arms to strengthen them for side loads?! :wink:

dexta roadless
True Blue

Post by dexta roadless »

That was done on that side before I got it. I've thought about cutting it away because I think it's ugly. there is no need to have it there because of strenght.
6o Dexta Roadless
62 Dexta
63 Super Dexta
75 Shilter UT
62 Aebi

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi Ben, I made mine out of a turnbuckle that had been used on an electrical guide line that went on the pole.

I cut the hooks off both ends, welded a 3/8 piece of flat metal with a hole drilled for the hitch pin and for a clevis (D-ring or what ever it's called in UK) to each end.

I drilled and put a hitch pin (like goes on your plow) 4 inches away from the Cat ! ball.

I measured how much chain I needed (I used 3/8's chain, you can use 1/4, I had plenty of the bigger so that's why I used it.)

I made two more flat pieces and drilled holes for the Hitch pin that fits under the fender, and also for another clevis pin.

I welded the chain to the flat pieces and it works.

Flat pieces on the hitch pins with clevis linking to the chain to the turnbuckle flat piece, do this for both sides and you will be good to go.

Sounds like mine and Dexta roadless have fixed the same kind of stay bar or stay chains which ever you prefer to call them. Mine have worked for years with no trouble.
Hope this helps.
Mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hi Ben, I made mine out of a turnbuckle that had been used on an electrical guide line that went on the pole.

I cut the hooks off both ends, welded a 3/8 piece of flat metal with a hole drilled for the hitch pin and for a clevis (D-ring or what ever it's called in UK) to each end.

I drilled and put a hitch pin (like goes on your plow) 4 inches away from the Cat ! ball.

I measured how much chain I needed (I used 3/8's chain, you can use 1/4, I had plenty of the bigger so that's why I used it.)

I made two more flat pieces and drilled holes for the Hitch pin that fits under the fender, and also for another clevis pin.

I welded the chain to the flat pieces and it works.

Flat pieces on the hitch pins with clevis linking to the chain to the turnbuckle flat piece, do this for both sides and you will be good to go.

Sounds like mine and Dexta roadless have fixed the same kind of stay bar or stay chains which ever you prefer to call them. Mine have worked for years with no trouble.
Hope this helps.
Mark
See ya
Mark

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

I screwed up and double posted, would one of the Mods please erase one for me please. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Thanks
Mark
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

So Mark, if I understand you correctly, to stabilise your implements, you have on each side of your linkage not a stabiliser bar, but a 'stabiliser chain'?

Each chain has a turnbuckle for easy adjustment.

That way you can run them tight eg for a transport box. Or slacker for an implement that needs more freedom eg plough, harrow etc?

Sounds just what I was thinking of doing... :wink:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

That's it Ben, that's exactly what I do and it works really good.
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Maybe I can use a Ford 4000 chain like this 4001 chain:
http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Catalog ... 0000000000

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ben those will work just fine on your Dexta.
The one's I made look like what you see in the picture except my turnbuckles are a little bigger. How much are these?
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Mark wrote:Ben those will work just fine on your Dexta.
The one's I made look like what you see in the picture except my turnbuckles are a little bigger. How much are these?
Listed by Agriline at £25 a side.

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ben, that's a good price for what all you get. If I were you I'd try those babies out. :wink:
See ya
Mark

Gavin
True Blue

Post by Gavin »

Ben
You may find the 4000 check chains are too long for the dexta and you need to cut a link out of the chain. I know the 5000 chains are longer than the 4000 and the 4000 is a bigger tractor than the dexta.
Fordson Super Dexta, Ford 4610, and Ford 3000

tom lad
True Blue

Post by tom lad »

hi ben
what have u done ?
I use the short red agri ones on my s dexta and the longer one on my MF 65 both rigid turnbuckle , like a top link.

I agree some times u want more give , mine r abit rigid so some chain in the link should help.

I have a old broken one for the 65 , I believe that has chain and the turnbuckle .
Some mornings I wake up grumpy, but most mornings I let her sleep in.

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

The length of my new stab chains (Agriline pn 4893) should be OK. I need to remove the absolutely massive shackle on one end and replace with a smaller shackle and one of these A..line 4902 link plates:
http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Catalog ... 3596c5062d

Just need to straighten the link plate a tad in a press to suit the geometry. The turnbuckle will give me over 4" of adjustment; if I need more I can add/remove a link/shackle. Will photo when I get it all rigged. :wink:

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Ben,
I hope putting on a dreaded green MF part don't make your tractor act funny! :lol:
That's a good looking set up, let us know how it works for you.
See ya
Mark

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Yeh, don't know why it's not listed for our blue babies. I've asked Aline that, so hopefully their website will be updated!

If I hadn't seen it in their shop, wouldn't have know about it! :wink: