Late Super Major injection pump rev counter drive

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
1962 model
True Blue

Late Super Major injection pump rev counter drive

Post by 1962 model »

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me or better still show me some pictures of how the late Super Major injection pump rev counter drive works.

The cam must have an internat square drive, unless they use the drive for the ehauster with an adapter.
I would like to run my 6cyl with a set up like the 4cyl, this also makes it easier to get a cable to fit too.

I know the cams are quite hard so if I have to drill a hole in the end of the shaft to adapt a square drive it could be tricky.

Any help appreciated,

Mike

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Late Super Major injection pump rev counter drive

Post by rok25 »

Hello,
unfortunately,there is no easy way to take the drive for the tachometer from a 6cyl pump as they have never been built to do that.
And you don't tell which pump or engine you have.But assuming you are talking of a 590e engine,the Minimec pump camshaft will always have a splined end protruding from the pump to drive the exhauster but with no provision for the cable holder and no square hole to take the cable.If you have an earlier pump (SPE) they will also have a drive for the exhauster (coupling like the front one ,pumps with pneumatic governor) or a mechanical governor (no acces to the camshaft).

The Fordson pump has a special camshaft, a special pump cover plate, and a special support to screw the cable .The tachometer is also special (counterclockwise ) as well as the cable.

Look at the pictures,the square tachometer drive on the camshaft is a real weak point of the pump and can break easily.It is very badly conceived:the end of the camshaft is bored round and turned to a small diameter.Then this little cylinder is pressed to form a square (outside and inside).Unfortunately the resulting square inside is not so square as it should be and the cable will eventually turn loose.Especially after 50 years of use.

Another problem is that there are no true Super Major counterclockwise tachometer remanufactured.All the ones for sale (even those marked as "like original" ) are the Dexta type .The hour counter does not have the same ratio and there is no RPTO (Raised Power Take Off) mark.

You will probably have to take the drive from the engine,but the cable must be longer than the original, and the (new)angle drives available on the market are of appaling quality (at least the one I got)

P.S. It seems that my pictures don't show in full size,don't know why ,while others are much bigger and show well????

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello and thank you very much for those pictures, it helps a lot.

I had been thinking the rotation could well be different and It was the late ( Mimtec ) type that I was referring to.
Good to know about those "original " repo tachos.
I think my Idea of drilling a hole in the end of the shaft would work better if I can find a drill bit to do it, or have a hole ground into it, then push a internal square into that.
As you say the original set up looks very much like an after thought.

I have both types of engines here, the main one I am planning to use is the early one in my Super Major, I have even managed to get a block date within a few days of the original 4cyl too. ( pure co incidence )

The other I have recently picked up a 1965 engine but it is marked 660EE ( 5 A 8 ) but have not been able to work out what the significance of the prefix change from 510E is?

It is this engine that I might do another conversion with and hence the tacho cable question, I still need do do some preparity work like remove the sump and clean out 25 years of sediment before I think of trying to start it.

I have managed to rebuild an injection pump from two, to give it a test run to check its condition, the guy I bought the engine from ( 400kms from home ) said he removed it about 1985 and it had been lying on the ground ever since, so it was a real surprise when I was able to turn the crank.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

rok25
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by rok25 »

Hello,
I have given some tought to the problem before because I have 2 pumps with the industrial shaft.Boring the camshaft shoudn't be very difficult.I don't think they are hardened to the core,and you can buy a carbide drill.For the square drive ,I had tought to bore a hole and fill it with a special metallic putty and insert a square rod in it before it becomes hard just long enough to have the shape.But it could be difficult to do all that in a concentric way to the camshaft .Maybe a better way would be to turn a suitable part to go over the splines and glue it on it.The real problem is to make a support for the external cable sheath.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Would it be easier to drive the tach off of the auxiliary drive, like the earlier Majors?

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Or can you use a generator off a 1000's Series that has a tach drive on the end of it??? :scratchhead:
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

JC wrote:Would it be easier to drive the tach off of the auxiliary drive, like the earlier Majors?
The situation was that I was trying to have it look externally original and use the standard cable and if I drive it from the front, the cable will be 300 mm too short with my 6cy engine.

The availabliity of a taco will be a consideration too because if I fit that engine to my early red wheel Super Major the rotation will be opposite.

I have also machined up a mounting flange from an exhauster too this gives an oppertunity of mounting a drive from the spline if I need too.

Still considering my options, thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

rok25 wrote:Hello,
I have given some tought to the problem before because I have 2 pumps with the industrial shaft.Boring the camshaft shoudn't be very difficult.I don't think they are hardened to the core,and you can buy a carbide drill.For the square drive ,I had tought to bore a hole and fill it with a special metallic putty and insert a square rod in it before it becomes hard just long enough to have the shape.But it could be difficult to do all that in a concentric way to the camshaft .Maybe a better way would be to turn a suitable part to go over the splines and glue it on it.The real problem is to make a support for the external cable sheath.
Hello, my Idea would be to get the end drive from a cable with the square internal drive in it, then simply match it to the new bore size and press or loctite it in.

Mike

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Did you ever sort this out i'm looking at fitting a 1000 series dynamo with a super tacho onto a 4cyl 2701e engined diesel major.

Stuart
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello stu_fletch,
no I haven't finished it off as had too many things happening here, it seems our local government do not think farming practices, or Fordson restoration, have a place on farming land, they also seem to think they do not have to abide by any standards or regulations! Stupid city nuts!

I have also been diverted on to help fix up a couple of working tractors for my 26 year old son which take me away from my jobs.
He is learning pleanty of methods of dealing with the weak points of Fordsons, and is very pleased at how they work all week end on the same tank of fuel, so much so he now has three of them. ( The younger generation getting Fordson apprenticeship! )

I was going to use a small Lucas alternator rather than a generator on my conversion so the drive from a generator would be out of the question.

I have several tractors on the go at once, and before long they should start to get completed.

Mike