Perkins P6 pistons

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
scoobyjim
True Blue

Perkins P6 pistons

Post by scoobyjim »

Does anyone know what the crack is with P6 pistons.

As far as I was aware, wagon engines had aluminium pistons and farm engines had cast iron pistons.

I have started my new project today and have found aluminium and was expecting cast.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Perkins P6 pistons

Post by Dandy Dave »

On different older engines that I have worked on in the past, upgrading to aluminum has never been a problem. A lot of early stuff was cast iron originally and could be upgraded to aluminum with after market rebuild kits. Many of the kits boasted an increase in power. Lighter weight also in theory allows for less stress on the crank and bearings. As long as they are the fit you need, go for it. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi
Just wondering if your tractor has the original motor in :?: , or was it a conversion from later life so could be a truck motor or had another motor fitted that was rebuilt or like Dave said yours has been done at some point :idea: . i do know the truck motors good for 75 -80 hp with alloy pistons. if the pump and injectors are set to match a tractor will have similar power with them fitted.
Mine have tractor written on the manifold plate, but if thats been swapped it won't help you much to tell if it's a truck block, P6's are like new majors, there are a lot of Heinz 57's out there and especially in the last few years as guys are realizing what they are worth and building them from a set of wheels and 2 oil stains on the barn floor. :(

Thinking of doing the motor in one of mine, and going Deere hunting at the local antique tractor pull :eyes: :run: :lol: . The great thing is a guy won't know it's done unless it's torn down and inspected, the extra 1000 revs won't be an issue as there is an upper rev limit not to break :wink: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

Im pretty sure its a ag motor as the oil filler is over the flywheel. I have come across an article that states all late p6 engines had alloy pistons as they realised the cast iron ones were no good so it may just be a late motor. I have stripped her out fully now and looks like it hasnt been apart before.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

super6954 wrote: there are a lot of Heinz 57's out there and especially in the last few years as guys are realizing what they are worth and building them from a set of wheels and 2 oil stains on the barn floor. :(
Brilliant turn of phrase Robert and Oh so true :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Scoobyjim,
Perkins P6 Engines that were designed to rev at up to 1500rpm were fitted with cast iron pistons. Engines that revved above that were fitted with light alloy pistons. There were no E27N's originally fitted with Alloy pistons. However, most Dealers that completely rebuilt a P6 replaced the Cast iron with the Alloy type.

Robert,
The truck manifold and the Fordson Manifold were different. Truck manifold had its outlet at the front with a bend in it, and as you know the tractor came straight out the back. And, I can assure you, that a P6 with a truck pump and injectors really has some get up and go in a tractor pull.
BarryM

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Get er done, and show them Deere's your hunting what a full pull is. :D :beer: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Robert,
The truck manifold and the Fordson Manifold were different. Truck manifold had its outlet at the front with a bend in it, and as you know the tractor came straight out the back. And, I can assure you, that a P6 with a truck pump and injectors really has some get up and go in a tractor pull.[/quote]
Hi Barry
I get what you mean about different manifolds, I was kinda thinking more along the lines of block/head swap with the original tractor manifold re fitted, and maybe the oil filler and other parts also that would be correct for the tractor :wink: .

As for the hot pullers, I have seen some on the Australian tractor and machinery channel on tube, yes they go pretty well :D .
Was kinda thinking my 4.3 would be the best to use but have been told factory p6 and 4.3 and hyds is rare in Canada. If thats true I don't want to damage it pulling :cry: . Its a rough looking old dog to, but that wouldn't hurt. she could creep up on them Deere's and surprise :eyes: :run: :lol: . I do have options on another with high top, thats rough and a bit of a Heinz 57. So looks like I might do that one if I can find all the parts around someplace.
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.