Reverse Conversion gearbox

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
county654
True Blue

Reverse Conversion gearbox

Post by county654 »

Hallo,
once in a while I read about forklifts or rearloaders based on Fordson Majors.

Is the gearbox different from the usual Major, the rearaxle or both?
Is it possible to use a four wheeldrive conversion kit out of a rearloader in a common tractor?
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

super6954
True Blue

Re: Reverse Conversion gearbox

Post by super6954 »

Hi
I helped a guy build a forklift based on a major many years ago, to reverse drive you just take the differential carrier out flip it over so the crown wheel is on the opposite side of the pinion and put it back together and make sure it's shimmed and pre loaded correctly :wink: . I think that was a super back end But can't remember about the diff lock pedal side of the deal, but if you use a regular major back end thats not a problem anyway :idea: .
the drive slice should be the same as a regular tractor and work either way. but not sure if a guy would need to do anything with the front diff for rotation .I have Never had anything to do with those 4wd axles on a reverse drive application.
I think if swapping tractors you may have to make sure to keep the ratio's correct between the differentials and tire sizes as well depending what diff ratios are fitted to each tractor :!: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Hi Robert,
when I read your post, I remembered, I have heard about the the possibility to flip over the differential carrier. That should be no Problem.
The driveline for the frontaxel must have a reverse gear inside, so it won´t work in a standart tractor. :?
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

d.andersen
True Blue

Post by d.andersen »

On rear loaders ,both diff are turned around ,the transfer is the same i believe
Fordson forever

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

hello,
my son and I are planning to build a reverse loader, and change the crown wheel, we would have liked it to have a crownwheel steady on the other side, but this is not possible.
We are planning to use the E 27N rear housing and low ratio, as it has a higher clutch and brake pedal shaft, we also plan to swap sides for the clutch linkage to put this on the correct side.

Lots of work to do before we get near it though.

Mike

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

1962 model wrote:hello,
my son and I are planning to build a reverse loader, and change the crown wheel, we would have liked it to have a crownwheel steady on the other side, but this is not possible.
We are planning to use the E 27N rear housing and low ratio, as it has a higher clutch and brake pedal shaft, we also plan to swap sides for the clutch linkage to put this on the correct side.

Lots of work to do before we get near it though.

Mike
Hi Mike
Sounds like an interesting plan with the 27n rear end, but wondering what your going to do for the gearbox, the standard 27n is only 3 forward and one reverse, unless you got a reduction box of some sort. I kinda think you would be better with a 6 speed/ 2 reverse unit from the new major if thats not what you had planned. the 27n was next to useless in the field due to incorrect ranges for some work. low end diff/ pinion and the 6 speed would give better options for the loader gear ranges from my way of thinking, if that crown and pinion would swap into the new major casting, i think some of the later 27n rears had stronger half shafts than early, and the new major shafts should similar to the last 27n's as well :idea: . it also depends what motor your going to use as to what bell housing patern you need if using a new major motor. This is one of those sounds simple but takes ages to build and perfect. Been involved in a few of " these great ideas" in my time :lol:
Regards Robert

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

Hello Robert,
my son has a Power Major with an engine number just 10 from my Power Major this will form the bassis of the conversion, with a reworked E 27 N diff housing. There was a "Ace loader" made based on a reverse Fordson.

So as you see I was planning to use all the good bits from the E 1 A, the axles will get new bearings and seals so we will use the E 1 A axle shafts and bull gears to match. the gearbox will be the E 1 A though we will be converting back to a single clutch & gearbox.
I have thought of putting the E 27 N handbrake in it too but decided against it because of extra complications if the brake plates sieze, E 27 N here in Australia seems to have both a locking foot brake and a English type hand brake so seems to be doing the same job twice. Our E 1 A here only has a foot brake lock anyway.

I also have a few parts left over which I am acumilating to build up what we call the E 95N the 95 for the horsepower!
I will use the front axle from a new major machined out for the larger pin, the front casting from the P4 adapt that to the E1 A side rails, fit a 1965 590E 6 cyl, use the E 1 A gearbox, a 1937 N model hand brake from one I wrecked, a 13" clutch, E 27n diff with the E 1 A axles/ bull gears and probably the E 1 A diff gears, may use the E 1 A 1954 centres and rims just to keep it all mixed up.
I just want to see how many parts I can mix up from as many years as I can!

Mike

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

1962 model wrote:Hello Robert,
my son has a Power Major with an engine number just 10 from my Power Major this will form the bassis of the conversion, with a reworked E 27 N diff housing. There was a "Ace loader" made based on a reverse Fordson.

So as you see I was planning to use all the good bits from the E 1 A, the axles will get new bearings and seals so we will use the E 1 A axle shafts and bull gears to match. the gearbox will be the E 1 A though we will be converting back to a single clutch & gearbox.
I have thought of putting the E 27 N handbrake in it too but decided against it because of extra complications if the brake plates sieze, E 27 N here in Australia seems to have both a locking foot brake and a English type hand brake so seems to be doing the same job twice. Our E 1 A here only has a foot brake lock anyway.

I also have a few parts left over which I am acumilating to build up what we call the E 95N the 95 for the horsepower!
I will use the front axle from a new major machined out for the larger pin, the front casting from the P4 adapt that to the E1 A side rails, fit a 1965 590E 6 cyl, use the E 1 A gearbox, a 1937 N model hand brake from one I wrecked, a 13" clutch, E 27n diff with the E 1 A axles/ bull gears and probably the E 1 A diff gears, may use the E 1 A 1954 centres and rims just to keep it all mixed up.
I just want to see how many parts I can mix up from as many years as I can!

Mike
Hi Mike
Kinda lost me in the list of parts and where they are going, But my basic grasp is you got a plan of some sort in there someplace, Hopefully You get time to do it soon and I'll just climb back under my damp rock and keep quiet :lol: , and wait for the pictures :wink: :)
Regards Robert