Get Fordson Super Major faster

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Ford 5095
Not Quite Blue Yet

Get Fordson Super Major faster

Post by Ford 5095 »

Hello,
I have a Fordson Super Major and I want to know is it possible to make the Gear Unit faster?

Kind regards

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Get Fordson Super Major faster

Post by Dandy Dave »

Faster...??? :shock: Mine goes fast enough that it scares me now in high going down the road. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

bigger wheels.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

do a little searching here, there were two different ring and pinion ratios available for the Supers.
Or you could put a 350 Cheby in it......and then you could drive it to Mars.....or cross the English channel.....or jump the snake river!!!!

Pat
(No I am not on crack)

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

This conversion is rather speedy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvikmrxZQM Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

1960 Fordson Power Major

richard the wrecker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by richard the wrecker »

Nearly as speedy as this.
http://youtu.be/fAfshuIMA9w
WD9 with Perkins P6 with rotary pump & turbo =33MPH :shock: :shock: :D

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

richard the wrecker wrote:Nearly as speedy as this.
http://youtu.be/fAfshuIMA9w
WD9 with Perkins P6 with rotary pump & turbo =33MPH :shock: :shock: :D
Hi nice speed on that "red thing" at least Dave stuck with the blue theme of the forum :lol: . although the purists that visit here will decide his punishment, later for posting as they call them murdered Majors :eyes: :run: :lol:

I got a red thing here built on a Belarus MTZ 50, fitted with a perkins V8 turbo reving to 2500 rpm and over sized wheels, I built for pulling in the U.K before moving here when we were dealers. Bet it would tow that international down the road faster than that :lol: .
Mines not how straight it goes or stopping it's how much nerve you got to keep pulling back the loud lever in top gear :lol: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

Hi it depends on what your trying to achieve if you want to gear it up a bit to say cruise at 15 mph at reduced revs fair enough and a standard tractor with well maintained steering no probs however the temptation is always there to open it up. here I believe the limit is 25 mph non sprung front axel 2 wheel brakes 35 sprung 4 wheel brakes and 50 if hydrostatic steering I have seen pictures of a 6cl major I think set up for chaser bin work it had a truck front axle with lengthwise springs and brakes .I have no personal experience of upping the gearing on a super though iv studied the problem as I run e27s a super appears to be basically a e27 special high top with a selectable underdrive in front the trouble is to do it with out ruining the tractor for work I believe Howard made overdrive sandwich boxes like the under drive for trenchers but you would never find one I have seen altered tractors that weren’t to bad iv actually driven tail end Charlie http://www.tailendcharliethetractor.org ... 01957.html which had both the diff and bull gears raised its very high geared another is a lanz bulldog near hear with a gear recut to give 30 k told me it took three goes to get it to work tows a living van one trip to the national rally was 7,000 k that’s not a typo however the favoured thing in days gone by was a powered trailer to push you if you think about it direct drive off the pto is only idle in top on what ever old truck axle you use for it so about 25 mph . The other thing I have seen is a power leg it consists of a right angle drive off an inter baler I think mounted on a linkage headstock with a chain drive down to twin 13 inch wheels on the centreline so the tractor stays balanced the linkage it tied down and he applies down pressure by pushing out the hydraulic top link drives it everywhere at up to I believe 40 mph b
Last edited by brockwood on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

super6954 wrote: Hi nice speed on that "red thing" at least Dave stuck with the blue theme of the forum :lol: . although the purists that visit here will decide his punishment, later for posting as they call them murdered Majors :eyes: :run: :lol:

Put me in the chair that Dunks me in the water tank... Oh wait, let me get my speedo on.. :mrgreen: . At least the Power Major in my barn is pure. 8)

1960 Fordson Power Major

Ford 5095
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Ford 5095 »

Hello,
thank you for the answers.
Something around 20 mph would be fast enough.
Is it possible to do this with the original 4 cly engine?

Kind regards

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

In my experience and opinion the Major is not really designed for road work. The chunky transmission is epic in field operations, but on the road, as a vehicle for going from A to B, it just doesn't cut it. How could it? Changing the gearing to be able to eat up tarmac more quickly would therefore not be a wise objective. Whenever I trundle along the road, the Major feels out of its element as the road-going vehicles whiz past. But when I arrive at my destination and pull into a field, it's a different matter. The Major is suddenly transformed and is completely at home. :yeah:
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

sky blue
True Blue

Post by sky blue »

no matter where your going in life youll not get there any
quicker no mater how fast you try to go ,take it easy and enjoy life
your major is an old age pensinor let him take his time :D :D