590E engine rebuild

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
CountyS6
Not Quite Blue Yet

590E engine rebuild

Post by CountyS6 »

Hello,
I just joined the forum after having bought a Fordson Super Major based County Super 6 needing a total rebuild.

I need a new set of camshaft bearings and tried the firm ACL mentioned in an earlier post without any luck. Does anyone know of a source for these?
I was told brass bearings should not really be used due to the friction difference.
Does perhaps the four cyl. engine from the Super Major have camshaft bearings that are available and fit?

Thanks for any pointers.
Simon

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: 590E engine rebuild

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Welcome aboard Simon!
The cam bearings are bad news, unless someone has just recently started to make them again, or if you can find a shop that has a NOS set stashed on a shelf, you probably won’t find a set. I just put mine back together with the old bearings.

Post a few pics, we’d like a look at the old girl.

Pat

CountyS6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CountyS6 »

Tractor needs a complete rebuild - I'll post non-engine picures in a new thread.

Engine ran quite well considering and the camshaft bearings turned out to be just within spec after polishing up, so that was a relief.
Next issue was the crankshaft harmonic damper, which had almost no rubber left:

Didn't want to run a rebuilt engine hard without crankshaft vibration damping, and not finding a better replacement, found a friendly english speaking firm in Lituania who will do a rebuild.
Look at http://www.elastomer.eu They turned it round in 10 days including postage and the result looks excellent, Time will tell.

Next issue is the injectors - they seem to have a different number to the Super Major ones and not in any present listing I can find.
Anyone know if the proper ones are available, or if the Super Major ones would do ?

Simon

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

I am currently rebuilding two 590E engines. One for my Super 6 sand one for a truck.

Late Super Major injectors are the same as late 590E applications. You can get the nozzles from Agriline.

Cam bearings are available here in Australia

ACl Part no 7C5757 Specs

http://catalog.acl.com.au/ACLWebCatalog ... &p=IT42365

Available here

http://www.sparespro.com.au/ford-510e-5416cc-ohv-diesel

The 4 cylinder engines were not fitted with camshaft bearings from new, the cam runs directly in the block.

I will let you know how I get on.

I see your engine is a 1965 casting. What is the serial number and engine number of your tractor? Mine is 15101 but it has had a replacement engine that was cast in 1967. I was not aware that 590Es were built so late for service replacements. My engine has D series connecting rods and the crank has a D series part number on the casting so it must have been machined from a D Series billet. The engine number is S746465

Regards

Steven

PS I just tore down a 590E that has run a big end. The block is serviceable but the oil pressure must have been terrible as it had number 1 cam bearing missing!! I cannot understand why the camshaft did not bend.
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

CountyS6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CountyS6 »

Thanks Steven for the information.

You are observant - the engine no is S513409, built end of 1965, Unfortunately it is a replacement and most other tractor ID indicators are long gone.
The rear gearbox block was cast mid 1964, so it is a late model, confirmed by the rear axles, shafts and gears being the heavy duty ones from the post major Ford being built then.
I can understand a small outfit like County scrounging and modifying a few bits, but surprised that Ford did not have proper replacement engine parts for the model that had only recently been replaced and around in large numbers!

Simon

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

Hi Simon
Good that there is one more Super Six here in Germany.
My Super Six had the same problems like yours.
Had to buy a good priced and running spare engine for my County,so the engine
problems are solved.
As fore the County ID number,mine is gone too.
but i found the original Fordson Skidunit number on the fronttransmissionflange
right under the Airfilter (just behind the starter).
08D966512
Now the question is: is it possible to get the right County ID number?
here are two photos

for Steven :
some people have no chance to get the Cambearings for their engines.
In your area they are easy to buy,can you help them ???

mbg Jan

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Hallo Jan,
you could try to contact
http://www.atosborneltd.co.uk/page9.htm
in GB. They have the spares and documents of the County tractors. They might be able to give you Support. I orderd a new driveshaft for my County Super 4 almost two years ago.
Try to calll them, since computing is not their business :mrgreen:
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

CountyS6
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by CountyS6 »

Hi Jan,
Nice to there that there is another Fordson based Super 6 in Germany:-)

As Matthias mentioned, it is a good idea to get in contact with AT Osborne Ltd.I spoke to them a couple of days ago and Mark told me, that i should look for a number between the engine and the fuel tank. Your's looks like this number, so if you are lucky, Mike might be able to trace it... If you are not so fluent in English, I can do it for you.

Why not post a photo showing the complete tractor ;-). Unfortunately I didn't make one of mine before ripping it apart :-(

Simon

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

Hi Simon

As for the phonecall,i think my english in a call is not the best.writing is another thing.
so it will be better if you try to find out the id nummber.it will be really good when you do this for me.if you have problems with your county,and need a closer look on a running one,you are welcome for talk and look.i lliving in the north (60km south direction from bremen )

here are some photos

mbg jan

Steven B
True Blue

Post by Steven B »

[quote=

for Steven :
some people have no chance to get the Cambearings for their engines.
In your area they are easy to buy,can you help them ???

mbg Jan[/quote]

Hi Jan

Firstly, thank you for the tip on that number location. It appears that Super 6 skid units were ordered from Ford without and engine so Ford put their serial number on the gearbox. Makes sense. I often wondered if they were delivered with a 4 cylinder engine and County sold those engines off. Not so.

My tractor is 08D968835. The County serial number is 15101.

To your question regarding cam bearings. They are not as easy to get as it first appears on the website I posted. I have just got 3 sets coming in and I will be buying a supplier out shortly with another few sets plus he has some 10thou sets as well. I need at least 5 sets for my foreseeable projects. I am placing a large parts order with Agriline shortly was thinking If they are agreeable maybe ACL will make a run for them or I can send a set to them so that they can get them made by their current supplier. I would say ACL would need an order of 100 to 1000 sets to make the business case. I will update shortly.

Steven
65 County Super Six. 62 Super Major x 2, 62 Super Dexta, 52 E1ADKN Industrial Crane, Thames Trader trucks coming out my ears. Two D Series trucks.

jan
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jan »

hi Simon

i send you a PM please read it

mbg Jan