Purchased New Performance Super Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
fergusont20
True Blue

Purchased New Performance Super Major

Post by fergusont20 »

Hello

I wanted to share the picture of this lovely major that we have just purchased:

It has a had an easy life and is pretty much orginal, its been in the same family since new.

The bonnet guard was used to protect the tractor when driving through woodland and flushing game out of their nests - we have just removed this.

I need some help to identify the tractor, as it is currently on a Q plate, and we wish to get an age related number for it. Would someone mind helping my identify the year, if you dont mind telling me where to look for the codes.

It has sat in a barn for 5 years, after checking everything over the other day, fitting a new battery and using a booster start and freeing the solenoid she quickly fired into life and sounded lovely.

The hydraulic lift arms do not appear to raise despite my father checking the valves next to the seat etc.

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Re: Purchased New Performance Super Major

Post by Stu_Fletch »

The PTO needs to be engaged as the hydraulic pump is driven off the PTO shaft, you'll also need to have the clutch released, It looks like a very good purchase what are you planning to use it for?

Cheers Fletch :beer:
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Very nice indeed! :clap:
I'm not envious, you understand. No, really, I'm not. :mrgreen: :eyes: :run:
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Stu_Fletch wrote:The PTO needs to be engaged as the hydraulic pump is driven off the PTO shaft, you'll also need to have the clutch released, It looks like a very good purchase what are you planning to use it for?

Cheers Fletch :beer:
Thankyou for your comments

I have not had the chance myself to get around the tractor, but i believe my dad will have tried all the obvious things like PTO engaged etc etc - im wondering because it has not been used very much if something internal is sticking, is there most common things to take off and check???

To start with we will get the mechanical / electrical side of things all corrected first then look to cosmetics.

I am not sure where is the best place to buy new parts, i would rather buy quality rather than cheapness - on first glance we need a new front wheel, as this one is badly buckled, there is oil around the back axle so i presume an oil seal is gone, and we need need a set of new bonnet external levers and all filters.

We intend to eventually use the tractor for powering a sawbench, pulling a trailer loaded with timber, powering a hew holland 945 baler, a kuhn haybob, chain harrowing, topping and probably end up with alot of other jobs

Thanks Mark

Stu_Fletch
True Blue

Post by Stu_Fletch »

Yes there is an unloading valve that is common for sticking on them although i've never worked on super hydraulics, this may be of some use - http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... lve#p38656

This may be of some help for your casting codes http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/wiki/ ... Major.html - fordsontractorpages - dotty = Logon :D

I use Agriline Products - http://www.agrilineproducts.com/Catalog ... uper-major Who I feel are realatively inexpensive and of reasonable quality.
And Mayhill Tractors - http://www.mayhilltractors.com/ who are a little dearer but supply more bespoke seals etc which agriline don't.

You will struggle to get parts of original OEM quality and standards unfortunately, although having said that I'm not sure the majority of people would be willing to pay that sort of money either. All parts are good enough to do the job, service life is possibly questionable due to the price though. Panel work I've heard is good but may need some tweaking when fitting so it's best to tweak it all before you put any paint on... it saves a bit of :cry: . Both companies are very helpfull and if there is a fault with an item, or human error they both respond quickly to remedy the fault :) I source the bearings myself as they're all common bearings and I know I'm getting a good quality bearing.

Cheers
Stuart Fletcher aka Fletch - 27 - Leicestershire in the UK

1955 Diesel Major - Ford 2701E engine
Ford 4100 Bubble Cab
1996 New Holland 7740 SLDP 4wd & loader