Front Seal help

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
witty73
True Blue

Front Seal help

Post by witty73 »

Im about ready to blow this thing up! I have spent the better part of a year chasing leaks, only to find another one upon correcting a non-existent gasket almost ever time, but this latest one is killing me. Some time ago, I removed the timing cover, used a speedy sleeve on the front shaft to correct the grooves worn in, and replaced the seal in the timing cover in an effort to fix the oil leak coming from the front cover. Fast forward a few months, and I have managed to get enough work done to the 53 new major to actually run the old girl again. You can imagine my dismay when I still have a leak coming from the front. Tuns out oil is coming from between the plate that mounts to the front of the engine block and the engine block. I can only assume there is a seal on the front of the crank behind that plate I should have replaced as well? I need to know if my suspicions are correct, and if so, can anybody shed some light on how to replace that? Im pulling my hair out here, as I am really not looking forward to dismantling the whole dang thing thing again.

witty73
True Blue

Re: Front Seal help

Post by witty73 »

Upon examinging the repair manual I found online, it doesnt appear there is another seal? is the plate supposed to be supposed to be tight enough and have a gasket between the plate and the block to keep oil from leaking out?

nzMark
True Blue

Post by nzMark »

hiya witty, sorry to be bear of bad news but yes, the front plate has a gasket between it and the block to seal oil in. you need good sealant that does not "go off" to fast as the outer timing cover bolts also hold the plate to block. keep onwith it, you will get there. cheers. Mark

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hello Witty
Sorry to say there should be a gasket between the mounting plate and the front face of the block. Ideally this would be laid on top of a thin application of Wellseal or something similar, with another thin film of Wellseal on the face of the mounting plate. When you torque the bolts up, this provides a good seal. Sadly this probably explains your problem.
Two other possible leaks in this area are the seal in the timing cover where the crank pulley hub runs (this is the hub that you put the speedisleeve on, so that's not like to be the cause of the leak); and the cork seal that fits on the semicircular shoulder of the front main bearing (see photo). I managed to b*gger this up during my rebuild and I have a small but annoying leak in this area.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Sorry, Mark. I was composing my reply as you posted yours! :beer:

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Son of Henry Ford that sucks. Especially since I had it all the way down to the timing gears, and could have went one step further. I doubt it will work, but I may try to clean it up and work a little sealant in from the outside. I doubt it will work, but maybe it will buy me some time.

scoobyjim
True Blue

Post by scoobyjim »

It wont work. I had the same problem.

The only way is take the whole lot to bits, take the timing gears off, plate off, make sure the whole lot is flat and immaculate, gasket seal, new gasket, gasket seal on top and plate back on. As for the crank pulley, if its leaking from behind the pulley, have the sealing diameter skimmed on a lathe and put a smaller seal in. Better results than a speedy sleeve.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Because you have to deal with steel, aluminium and cast iron and the specifications and the forces on the plate, you need a propper seal. Beside this you can use a sealant.
Trying to solve the problem another way will not work.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

easy.start
True Blue

Post by easy.start »

Hopefully some kind soul on these helpful pages can answer my question related to this 'thread'. I too have the dreaded oil leak and have new gaskets and seal to fit, including the gasket between the front plate and block. Is it possible to remove the front plate without removing the crankshaft timing gear? Thank you in advance :)
Easy Start (not required for the Fordson)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, but you have to remove all the other timing gears. Check the marks before you take them off.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

easy.start
True Blue

Post by easy.start »

Many thanks for the quick reply! I'm guessing Brian you, (and others) recommend lining the timing marks up, with No. 1 cylinder TDC to ensure she runs again?! Thank you :)

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Just line up the marks, No.1 TDC will be there automatically.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

Easy.start, keep us updated. I have yet to tackle this leak, ive been working the old girl so hard I havent had enough down time to tear into her.

easy.start
True Blue

Post by easy.start »

Eventually, I've got around to replying! Replacing the gaskets and crank seal didn't take quite so long. Having the guidance from Brian et al the job was very straight forward and, four months since completing the job the tractors still drip free from oil! Recently I replaced the hydraulics' piston seal (15 minute job, why did I put that off for so long?!) and am tomorrow splitting the tractor to replace the oil loss to the back end.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Well done. Once you've ticked off these jobs, your tractor will be raring to go.
I'm still amazed how our Majors remain relevant and fit for purpose after so many years.
Which part of the world are you in?
Any chance of photos of your tractor?

easy.start
True Blue

Post by easy.start »

I'm in sunny Somerset in the UK. It's the first Fordson I've owned and am quite impressed by how solid and straight forward they are to work on. I'll post some pictures soon.