Breathing?

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Bensdexta
True Blue

Breathing?

Post by Bensdexta »

My dexta has a fairly steady plume of steam coming out at the bottom of breather pipe from the rocker cover. Not much oil, mainly steam.

Also get drops of water on the inside of the oil cap, but no mayonaise. No obvious signs of water in the oil.

Whilst running her with the rocker cover off, after adjusting tappets, I noticed the odd drop of coolant coming up one of the valve stems. Where is this coming from?

She seems to be running well, not using much oil or water.

Is this normal?

TIA
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Breathing?

Post by Brian »

Ben, that is not normal. A few years ago on here Jos had a Dexta that he thought had a head gasket problem as it filled one cylinder with water, it got to a point where it would fill the cylinder very quickly and blow water out of the exhaust. It turned out that he had a hole appear in the pre-combustion chamber, I am wondering whether you have something similar into the valve port.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Brian wrote:Ben, that is not normal. A few years ago on here Jos had a Dexta that he thought had a head gasket problem as it filled one cylinder with water, it got to a point where it would fill the cylinder very quickly and blow water out of the exhaust. It turned out that he had a hole appear in the pre-combustion chamber, I am wondering whether you have something similar into the valve port.
Oh dear! :(
Would that be a crack rather than a hole, as it must be pretty small?
Sounds like head-off.
I guess my 4lb rad cap won't be helping - there's no oil in the coolant, bye the way.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes a crack would be possible though coming up the guide would seem to indicate the head and guide cracked. Could still be a crack on the port though. If you can get hold of a rad pressure test kit (borrow from a friendly garage)? and look in through the exhaust or inlet manifold, you might see the problem with about 7 to 10psi.

I think Machine Mart do a test kit too.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Do you suppose it will get worse?

Could I improvise a pressure tester with a tyre foot pump on the overflow pipe?

russelm
True Blue

Post by russelm »

Do remember that a well combusted fossil fuel result in lots of moisture which will be seen from a breather via blow by gases and gas escaping up the exhaust guide if somewhat worn).

The result will also be some mayo on the oil filler and in the rocker cover (this should go if the engine gets very hot and is worked hard).

Most important thing to do is keep an eye on coolant levels
Mark Russell - 1959 Standard Dexta - Work In Progress!

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

russelm wrote:Do remember that a well combusted fossil fuel result in lots of moisture which will be seen from a breather via blow by gases and gas escaping up the exhaust guide if somewhat worn).
The result will also be some mayo on the oil filler and in the rocker cover (this should go if the engine gets very hot and is worked hard).
Most important thing to do is keep an eye on coolant levels
That's more encouraging!
My only doubt is that the water drops I saw leaking up the 5th valve from the front looked green - coolant?
Will keep checking the coolant level - and hoping! :wink:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Tyre pump on the overflow will not work as you are on the wrong side of the radiator cap seal. You would also need something like a 10 to 14 psi radiator cap. No.5 is an inlet valve if my memory serves me. If the water you see is green it is definitely coolant.

You could try a sealant, Land Rover do a very good one that will hold some head gasket leaks for a time, I have used it in the past. It is better than the usual Radseal ones.
Brian

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hey Ben, the water problem sucks so soon after your restore. Didn't you change the head? If it were me and I had invested what you have in your blue darling. I'd do what Brians telling you and if you see any water you will then need to take the head off and to a machinist to have it pressure checked. Once again that sucks so soon after an overhaul.
mark
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer