E27N P6 Dash switch rubber buttons

This forum is about the Fordson F, N and E27N Major.
Willsy/Aus
Not Quite Blue Yet

E27N P6 Dash switch rubber buttons

Post by Willsy/Aus »

Hi, Can anyone please help me to find where I can obtain the rubber/brass tagged starter & heater buttons for a P6.
Thanks, Willsy.

The Tinker
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: E27N P6 Dash switch rubber buttons

Post by The Tinker »

I want them as well Cheers

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Guys
From what I have found out there are no genuine copy reproductions made. you have either got to find good used, or hope some new old stock turns up on ebay or someplace in the world :wink: . pretty well everybody that has a P6 to restore wants them. I could do with 3 sets if i get all my tractors complete. There are other things use them to but just as rare to find them. If they do turn up they are expensive :cry: .
I was thinking maybe a guy could use a newer style rubber covered push switch and maybe fit it to the original mounting plates then get somebody that does engraving to make the start and heat badges and bond them to the switch covers somehow :idea: . Kinda got busy and haven't figured that out yet :eyes: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Guys,

It has been a long while since I have done any work on my tractors for various reasons, but I have just put the gearbox housing onto my current P6 project and I thought I would log in and found your post. I only ever found any switches with covers on the UK eBay site and they were pricey when they did come up.

You could make a set of covers if you can get a mould made. The original brass disks were stamped so a set of small letter stamps about 1/10 inch would be needed for the lettering. I have recently being doing vintage radio repairs and have had to mould lots of custom rubber grommets and have found it a very easy process using two part polyurethane rubber. You will need some plastic and a hobby lathe to make a two part mould. The original rubbers had a square back but round would work just as well as that is behind the panel and can't be seen.

I use nylon for my moulds as it is easy to machine. You will need to temporarily hold the brass disk with something like Blu Tack and when you pour the two part polyurethane rubber into the mould it will bond to the back of the disk. You could probably use a tube of one part polyurethane windscreen adhesive as well so long as you can wait for it to cure. If you choose the right rubber to pour into the mould you will probably end up with a better switch cover than the originals.

As most modern switches have threaded mounting shafts an adaptor plate threaded to the right size with the four holes in the right place is all that will be needed to mount it to the panel. You might even get away with just using the mounting nut on an adaptor plate if it is not too big.

Maybe an impossible project if you don't have a lathe handy, but getting the brass to stick to the rubber is easy if you mould it this way. I could make the mould no problem, but the stamped brass disks are the thing that I can't do at the moment.

Hopefully some food for thought.

Regards, Frank.
Real tractors don't need tin work to be beautiful.

Willsy/Aus
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Willsy/Aus »

Thanks for all the information, but I'm sure somebody was selling them on E Bay UK about 2 years ago or a tractor parts web site but I cannot find any information who did sell them.

Again Thanks,

Willsy.

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Willsy
I have seen some for a Dexta new online but they are different, The only ones i ever found for the p6 for sale was ebay and they were new old stock in the U.k. I think they were making about $160 with exchange rate a pair when they sold. That would of been about 2 years ago and the guy had a few sets and wouldn't ship out of country through his business. He wanted to sell me his last set privately for equivalent to $200, for a real good reason i declined the offer :eyes: . I haven't seen him on ebay for a while. So guessing he sold them all. If you find any please let us know if there is more :wink: .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi all,

I bought my last switch from that international auction site about 4 years ago and I do remember you could get starter switches complete, but no heater switches. There was someone selling replacement heater switch rubbers, but they were stamped heaters rather than heater like the original. I can't say I have looked in recent times if any switches are still available. I have the complete set for my tractor so I have had no need to look. All I can say is that it took over a year of continuous searches to find the switches I bought.

That said, don't give up looking. I have fallen over parts that I would never have expected to find just by chance. You just have to know what you are looking for to find that missing item.

Regards, Frank.

Aussie Frank
True Blue

Post by Aussie Frank »

Hi Willsy,

I finally figured out how I could check my eBay purchases from when I bought my switches and I found the purchases. I bought the starter switch from "lister55a" and the heater switch rubber was from "queensberryc.c.s". Neither of these sellers have any switches listed at the moment and I bought mine over 8 years ago so I wouldn't get too hopeful, but they might be worth contacting if you are a registered eBay user. I thought it was only 4 years ago, just goes to show how time flies.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Frank.