News from Down Under

Want to share something off-topic? This is where to put it.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

News from Down Under

Post by Brian »

Hi chaps,
We had a good trip down although getting up at 4 am Tuesday morning and then a five hour bus trip to Heathrow followed by 24 hours on an A380-800 takes its tole when you get to our age! Thursday was spent getting all the "electronics" to work. I had a new Samsung S7 arrive on Monday afternoon and we then bought another one to use over here from Telstra. So we had experience of two different company's after sales service.

Of course the Samsung did not work as O2 had not switched the sim card on so a good two hours was spent talking to them and getting them to understand we were in Australia and did not have all the boxes and packaging with us, (Silly us). but eventually thanks to a very good operator who worked round the problems with the aid of a safety pin this end, the phone now works.

The Telstra one was on line and we were receiving calls within an hour.

Yesterday we felt a bit less argumentative and went around the Botanical Gardens, first time we have seen it in Sprinter as they call it, it is neither Spring or Winter at the moment, Thursday we had heavy rain, freezing cold and hot sun every hour on the hour, all day. Just like home.

Tomorrow, Sunday, we are going on a trip on Puffing Billy a steam train through the Dandinong Mountains visiting wineries along the way, Should be fun although I do not know how much I will remember afterwards!

Next weekend it will be the tractor show in Deniliquin so more news and pictures then.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: News from Down Under

Post by oehrick »

Glad you got there safe & sound and have beaten the electronics into submission Brian, pleased to advise no inverted text this time round.

Wish I knew you were going to Puffing Billy, Before my major pooter meltdown I was in contact with someone there called Adam (possibly Black), possibly cheif engineer, who had got and was starting to restore a Riches & Watt engine along with original boiler, needless to say his details were among the stuff not backed up and have gone west - should you see engine or him, a re connection would be very much appreciated.

I like 'Sprinter', unlike BR where it means neither a broken down bus, nor train, on the wrong sort of leaves :lol:

Hope the weather improves, its so hot here the Archers have issued a warning about unlifted spuds cooking in the ground :scratchhead:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

They say that Australia is the land of opportunity, well it certainly is for me. When we first came over in 2011 I had the chance to meet and drive a tractor that I had adored from afar, the 8401. Then, in 2012 there was the tractor trek through the Mali on a Petrol Dexta with Ann on a diesel one.

In 2014 there was the chance to pilot a paddle boat on the Murray thanks to Graham who, unfortunately, has now passed away and the chance to gather in some wheat with a 77 year old McKay Stripper Header.

2017 has started well too! Yesterday, Sunday, we went on a day trip to "Puffing Billy" and the wineries of the Yarra Valley. Wines were a bit disappointing as this area is mainly where the French wine makers settled and we are not into French styled wines at all. Still it was all very interesting and pleasant driving into the hills in glorious sunshine, the first of the Spring, our driver said. We did pick up a few bottles of a really pleasant "Pink Lady" farm pressed "Syder" (their spelling, not mine).

But the high light of the day was the short train trip pulled by a steam engine I have much admired in books and never expected to see in real life, there were not too many built and I understood most went to South Africa. The pictures are not too special as there were many people milling around and getting in the way so I could not get really clear shots. Also I am not a steam train expert so am relying on Rick for details. I have read about this particular steam engine in books and it always fascinated me, a great piece of British design.

A Beyer Peacock and Co. Manchester, 1926. Built to a Garrett design and patent.

It drives front and rear with no wheels under the boiler as we would normally expect.

The Beyer pulled a full load of crowded coaches, about 20, up the steepest part of the track, then the train was split and smaller engines took it on.

Then there are the holiday snaps.

Brian feeding cockatoos.

Of course Ann does it better! :buddies: :buddies:

This car was at one of the wineries, think it is either a Vauxhall or possibly a Holden. No name was visible. at least to someone who had drunk about four wasses of gline by this time.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Nice one Brian, sounds like a good time is being had despite the low Fordson content so far.

The Beyer-Garrett is one of a number of articulated designs of locomotives which give a powerful engine able to cope with tighter curves and in tractor terms lower ground pressure to enable lighter rail and ballast to be used as the load is spread over a longer length of track. In some respects it can be considered two locos for the price of one boiler, all the weight is over the driving wheels so adhesion is good.

The Welsh Highland have several in use and the design is so good that just a few miles North of Dotty Towers, (the late) Roy Francis had two built in 10 1/4" gauge for the Wells Walsingham Line.

They had to overcome the need for steam and exhaust to be delivered to and taken away from each swivelling, pivoting bogie - have a think about that one :wink:

Thems rum looking pigeons yer a feedin :P
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

We're not jaleous at all Brian, really. I mean, who'd want to ride Puffing Billy and taste wine? :buddies: Garretts are mostly seen in Africa and some other hilly areas of the Commonwealth with narrow-gauge track and tight curves. There's a line in Wales that operates Garretts, if I recall correctly. They look funny but are pieces of incredible engineering. Have a wonderful time down there and give my regards to Ann.

All the best,
Oscar

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Thanks for the interesting posts. I'll lookout for the Garrett on the Welsh Highland.

Have a great time down under. :D
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

They have three ex Tasmanian loco's Ben, stocklist here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... ling_stock

I'm so used to the products from Leiston I abused the spelling, :oops: should be Garratt not Garrett

All sorts of interesting steam loco's in Wales Oscar, although not the size of some of the South African Garratts which were enormous.

Please add me to the list of those not in the least bit jealous of Brian & Ann, no, not even a tiny bit, honest..........
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hi Chaps,
It has been a long hard week since I last wrote on here but not as hard as it has been for Dawn and Barry M who bore most of the load in organising the weekend. Ann and I have been general dogsbodies, helping out where we could and talking - talking - talking to many club members and enthusiasts. We met up with Brockwood and admired his display, an E27N with a bale lifter and a Model "F" power unit driving a water pump.

Soon as I finish this I will be uploading some of the 700 pictures we took at the show, there were about 160 exhibits on the Fordson Tractor Club Stand alone and the club merchandise was disappearing out of the tent at a fast rate.

We are now back at the Motel after clearing the showground, temperature has crept up from 11 C to around 25 C in the last few days so had to break out the shorts.

3.10 pm Aussie time.

Aussie version of the Ransomes mower.

Ford 530 baler. We did not see these in England although the knotters were the same as the New Holland, Allis, Jones and Bamford balers.

Malcolm Moore earth scoop.

Aussie E27N

"N" with French built CLM engine. This is of Junkers design with two cylinders each with two pistons which come together in the middle to make the compression. Similar to the Commer TS3 but this is vertically opposed rather than horizontally as the Commer engine was.

Detail from the fuel tank of a Cork built "F".

E27N on Roadless Halftracks.

American built Ford 6000.

Roadless tricycle conversion.

Beautifully restored "N" from around 1940.

Detroit built "F"

Very interesting and narrow Fordson Super Dexta. I have seen two of these in England in Charlie Atkin's yard at Dereham, they were used on a road roller originally but this owner has put wheels on the skid unit to make a very narrow vineyard tractor.

Malcolm Moore loader. This was a free acquisition by another of our Australian friends. There is a rule out here, if you take one tractor to a show you must go home with two! :clap: :clap:

Brockwood's "F" skid unit driving a water pump.

An original Howard Rotovator on an "N".

A Ford bale loader.

A Roadless Power Major that has been upgraded with a 590E engine.

Tractor built from Model "T" car parts.

Ford service van. (A little before my time).

County Super 4.

Surely the ultimate tractor for any Ford enthusiast!!! An "F" Triple D. Ran when last used but now has a slight problem. A darned great hole in the block but mothing that a few pounds of body filler will not put right!

And the ultimate farmers transport for rounding up lost sheep. A V8 motorcycle and the owner rode it to the showground!!! :beer: :beer:
Brian

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Great photos, Brian.
Remarkable how even the oldest tractors have their tinwork intact.
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Can't wait for the other 678 pictures. :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

They have strict border controls Adrian and have mostly avoided the dreaded tinworm invading :wink:

Nice pictures Brian, sorry you've not been able to enjoy yourselves much :run:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Been out of internet range for the last day or so and when we managed to log in it is worse than dial-up. Will post more picture when we get a better connection. Yesterday we visited Wagga-Wagga the home of the Howard family of rotovator fame. We checked out the exhibits in the museum but most are in a poor state. The museum does not understand what it has and whilst the diarama and power-point presentations are very well done, the actual machines are in a heap in a shed outside rusting away.

Got some pictures of one of the first machines Howard built.

Been getting into trouble again with my Aussie friends, it seems it is Wogga-Wogga or just plain Wogga!

This post sent from Yass.
Brian

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

HI all well the hundredth is over we left Friday at 9.30 arrived 5.30 420 k later 840 the round trip the k series averaged 12 mpg at ninety five k foot welded to the floor its full governing .only trouble was a loose fuel line on it and the clutch playing up in the following ute. We were met at the ramp by a Thames with a turbo and intercooled 590e that came down from Queensland in two days with a 4004 on it. by accident we squared a prime position and the display seemed to do ok .good to catch up with brian might see him again now to the pictures the bloke in blue with the 6000 is my son the other with him had a good story decided to make his own e27 headlights laser cut the shape in the vertical plane with a slot in it. Bend another to shape drop in and weld machined cup for light a 38 ford hot rod repro and the square mount and weld came up really well. The lad looking at the road bands on the blue n owned the following f. there was a good display with Variety some stood out a 754 slecto speed N/s with starters the owner of the t service van as well as other things is well on the way with a snow motor. Garatts here in aus we have had quite a lot the launch customer was Tassie with k1 in 1909 the makers got her back at the end of her working life with there demise its been thou a few owners .in the late 80/s the bush mill a 15 ‘tourist track at port arther in tassi built a half size replica with its closure it too went to the uk. Puffing Billy the survivor of 4 2 foot 6 lines operates g42 it and g41 were bought in 1926 for two of the other lines to ease double heading on timber trains. The biggest here are the nsw 60 class at 63000 lbs pull still not as powerful as the gl class of South African railways at 89000. One of the 60 class is for sale after the demise of it operating museum b
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Finally surfaced from the Point Hicks lighthouse where we had no internet or phone and for a few days, no power!!! Generator packed up under warranty and none of the dealers would drive the 25 miles down an unmade road to fix it!

Will post more pictures when we get a good connection and some spare time, Got a date with a few hindered penguins tonight. :clap: :clap:
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hope to get caught up a bit in the next few days, We have been in the Grampians searching for and photographing wild orchids and other flowers, things are absolutely stunning over here this time. We moved down to Mount Gambia last weekend and the roads for all the trip were lined on both sides with many thousand white freesias growing wild,never seen anything quite like it. If we could have harvested them for the flower shops in Holland and England I could have brought back two 8401's. :clap:

Henk,

On our last evening in Halls Gap we went to an Indian restaurant, on a table across the room sat a couple, the man had a blue "T" shirt with "Rescue" in big letters across the back. We did not take much notice until we saw the same couple later the following day in a pie shop, in Casterton, many miles away. I got a chance to read the rest of the writing on the shirt, "Rescue Vlissingen 2016" ! I tapped him on the shoulder and said he was a long way from home and it turns out he and his wife were from Goses and Middleberg, visiting friends in Cairns, so we had a long conversation with them. The wife then showed us pictures of the grandchildren on the tractors and the grey Super Dexta at your museum. They were quite surprised when we said we had been there and knew some of the people involved.

It is a very small world.
Brian

henk

Post by henk »

Indeed it is. :D
A lot of people from Zeeland went to the other side of the globe. My father his sister and husband emigrated to Australia and my parents visit them in the early nineties for about three months. My father loved it over there. I still have a lot of family members over there.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I