Super np steering

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Evos3960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super np steering

Post by Evos3960 »

I have a steering issue with a Super np. I find when driving along the road I am continually over steering and I cannot keep the tractor running straight. I am led to believe that the front wheels should toe in by 1/8th of an inch, I therefore measured between the cheeks of the tyre at the back and then at the front and I find that in fact it is toeing out by an inch and 1/4 which presumably is why the steering is so bad. Can anybody tell me please how to adjust the track back to 1/8th. I would be much obliged if someone could help. Many thanks

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Super np steering

Post by henk »

Evos,

I've had the same problem and worn one front tire almoost out.

The problem is you can't adjust the rod underneith de engine. The bolts fit in the gap.

I've had the right spindelarm bended by using heat.

Took the pin 3287 out of the arm and rod end. Adjusted the wheel to the right toe. And messured the distance that the arm has to be bended.
Then placed the arm in a vice and made a point to messure on the table. Than heated the arm and bend it the difference I messured before on the arm and rod.
Works like a charme, but now the steering radius is a bit different from one side to another.

Hope you understand my explenation.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

we discussed this a few years ago, I think. Look here: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=2&t=3477

Peter
1963 Super Major

Evos3960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Evos3960 »

Hello Henk and Peter,
Thank you for the information you have provided. I have thought of all ways I can to adjust this problem out without success and came to the conclusion that if I could change the length of the track rod under the tractor that would do the trick, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being stupid and missing something. From the various posts and offered solutions it would appear that I haven't missed a trick so I will have to resort to some home engineering to solve the problem. I suspect that the fault lies with either the n/s king pin, steering arm or the drag link which are all replacement ones and heaven knows where these were made or more particularly how good a copy they are.
Many many thanks boys I appreciate your help.

Peter

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Never did pay any attention to this, untill i saw this thread. So I checked mine and it's about 4cm toe out!
RWD cars should have the front wheels a little to toe in as far as i know.
As far as I can see you can change it each 5cm.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

henk

Post by henk »

Mathias,

Thats for the track wide. 2" on each side. There's no fine tuning on it.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Evos3960
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Evos3960 »

Hello folks
Since my last post I have thought long and hard about what to do about this problem of mine and an idea came to me. I went to look in the scrap and there I found an old steering arm. I took the reproduction one off and replaced it with one out of the scrap, which fitted on the splines nicely, and then I rebuilt everything up again..........Bingo. I now have a toe in of the correct amount and the tractor steers a treat. So it turns out that the nearside steering arm ( the reproduction one ) was the wrong angle. Now the job's a good un.
Thanks every body

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

This problem has been going on for many years and still the aftermarket people refuse to listen when people complain. There are two types of Fordson Major, the E27N from 1945 to 1951 and the E1A type from 1951 to 1964.

The front axles were mainly a fixed version on the early E27N's and adjustable on the E1A's. The aftermarket people are making stub axles for the early E27N's with fixed track and saying they fit all the range. The slot for the clamp bolt is in the wrong position causing the tracking problems.

I do not know the answer apart from sending the items back with a letter of complaint and a demand for your money back.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian