Super Major Paint

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
icom102
True Blue

Super Major Paint

Post by icom102 »

Hi

My Super Major is away for restoring has anyone any colour picture of a Major when new to see what was painted and what was not ?

peter2
True Blue

Re: Super Major Paint

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

according to Brian a few years ago, "all" is painted blue. As if the tractor war bathed in the paint.

Peter
1963 Super Major

icom102
True Blue

Post by icom102 »

Ah I see even the starter wheel nuts and stuff?

Puffie40
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Puffie40 »

It likely depended on if the parts were on the tractor when it entered the paint booth. Keep in mind these tractors were mass produced with workers usually focused on production instead of detail.

The Majors were completely blue with orange wheels, the Power Majors had the grill painted silver, but was pretty much the same paint scheme.

Personally, I like keeping the wiring, starter, and generator black, as it provides a nice highlight when you look at the engine.

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

If you search back, Brian also commented along the lines that even where destined for an important show there were likely to be paint dribbles all over the place.

I did wonder if the orange grille business might have started with one of the skid unit builders like Roadless perhaps and some of the distributors followed suit to make them look a bit smarter when prepping a blue one for sale.

Somewhere there will be a paint specification for the Empire blue, which did seem to vary over the models

EDIT Just did a search, results here http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... mit=Search

Wherein Brian posts a time or two noting that the New Performance models had the different paint, New Performance rather than Empire Blue HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes