62 super major tach drive problem

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Livewire84
True Blue

62 super major tach drive problem

Post by Livewire84 »

I bought a tachometer ( proofmeter ) and a cable for a 1962 fordson super major, according to agriline parts. Mine is a 1962 fordson with the cream colored hood and blue frame and engine. The tach drive output is located on the rear of the simms injector pump.
The tachometer drive is round or has been rounded out, and quite a bit larger than the square shanked cable I recieved, although the threads and caps are the correct size.
Is there a part available to replace the tachometer output so the 4 sided cable will fit ? I am refurbishing this tractor and would love to get the tachometer working.

peter2
True Blue

Re: 62 super major tach drive problem

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

I put a small peace of plastic (or wood? I don't remember) in the drive of the pump to fill the gap. Works now for nearly six years.

Peter
1963 Super Major

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Was yours rounded out from wear or they just round to start with ? I may try the shim something in there like wood, if I need to.
Thanks for the idea.

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

I think they are square like the old bicycle speedos and wear over time.
1963 Super Major

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Is the output drive for the tach affordibly replaceable, or available?

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Mine has the same problem. It doesn't look like it has worn this way, it looks like there is a part missing. The square end on the cable is less than 4mm. The hole in the end of the shaft is at least 10mm. Here is a picture of mine.

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Mine ended up going together without any modifications.
The square cable end goes quite a bit further down into the tach drive than I expected.
What looks like a rounded out hole, is, but the square part of the cable doesn't start to fit into the tach drive, until about a full inch past the point you think it should.
Attach the cable to the tach and snug the nut. Then measure how far the square shank on the cable is, in relation to the flange that ends up being pulled flsuh with the tach drive by the nut on the tach drive end.
That will give you a good reference.
I finally tried the cable only and to my suprise there was crud in the hole, and with some penetrating fluid and a little compressed air, it eventually all came out.
The square end slid right into the groove and turns my tach like it is supposed to.
I was about to put the cable in there, and use a small amount of jb weld on the cable, and jb weld it onto the tach drive... lol
Worst case scenario is a little filing the jb weld at a later date to get it back off, if needed.
Glad I didn't.
Try cleaning out the tach drive hole really well and use just the cable. If any dirt or crud is on the end of it, and it still wont go into the 4 sided groove, clean more.
If that doesn't work, I don't have much advice.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

JC

Post by JC »

I thought it would be right at the end. I have to take the pump off again to put a new governor in it. I’ll look into it then. I just ordered the governor from a shop in the UK, so it may be while until it gets here.