Engine rebuild.

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Re: Engine rebuild.

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thank you gentlemen for your responses and links. I do like the Clarke stand, as you say Jerry no problem setting up and very easily dismantled for storage. I shall look around at our dealers and see what compares.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi folk,
I have located a dealer who sells engine stands one that can carry up to 450 kg. and of Chinese manufacture. We do not have a Clarke dealer in South Africa and to order a stand from overseas is just not worth it as I can't see myself using the stand more the twice. Does anyone know how heavy the Dexta block is including crank, pistons and head although the head can be placed once the engine is in. The main reason for the purchase is to make it easy for me to fit the sump over the cork gasket correctly, unfortunately my age is catching up on me :wink:

I am expecting my engine to be completed this week, but before I can put every thing together I need to do a bit of painting e.g. sump, timing gear housing, cover and the starter and generator plus other minor items, oh! and the front axle assembly. Which brings me to the next issue how do you flatten the previous coat of paint on cast pieces e.g. sump and front axle parts? Previous paint was synthetic enamel same as what is going to be used this time round but a slightly lighter shade.
Thanks Mervyn.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Engine ready to be picked up on Thursday, and engine stand to be delivered in a couple of days time,so excited :clap:.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Re your earlier comments about replacing the starter motor, mine has been fitted with the complete starter from a Landrover 2.5 tdi.
There isn’t much clearance for the steering rod/radius arm, but works well enough.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Thank you for your advice "Old Hywel" very useful idea. I will se if I can lay my hands on one.
Regards Mervyn.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I picked up my engine block this morning all nice and clean after a acid bath and new sleeves and piston etc. The fact that the block was acid bathed and virtually stripped of paint means that I will now have to give it a coat of primer and under coat before the base coat. My question to those who had their engines re built did you paint before or after fitting the engine back?

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Hi I painted most of my block especially those areas covered by other items fitted later. This includes behind the starter motor and the fuel injection pump. where gaskets are expected to be positioned leave them bare metal.
I rebuilt mine over 12 years ago and had it out to top my neighbours field yesterday. A six foot topper and high weed made it cough a few times but still pleased with the performance.
Cheers
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Jerry, thank you for your advice and agree that those areas mentioned are important. I suppose it is forgiving for your Dexta to have a couple of coughs working in such long grass, I think we as humans would also cough a bit walking through it :lol:

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

with brush or spraygun? I got my engine now almost to the bare metal. There are a few spots where the wire brush can't get the paint off. I guess I will install the engine without starter and injectionpump and give it a paint job at that stage.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

As can be seen I have used the 4 corresponding bolts to secure the engine stand head to the block. I have no other alternative but to use that method. I would like to get longer bolts possibly grade 8 or 5 about 50mm in length and pick up the slack using washers. Please guys those who are the fundies(clever okes) am I doing the right thing?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Mervyn,

I got the same problem for the major.
maybe this can help, I made a piece to fit between the engine stand and the engine:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Hi Mathias,

I see so, I must say I did cut myself two lengths of square tube but had a senior moment on how to resolve my problem. Today after I levelled off all the chips and scratches from my adaptor plate the one between the bell housing and engine block which I was going to paint before re fitting it, decided to bite the bullet and fit it to the engine block. Wow what a job that plate is rather heavy, but eventually got the dowels in place and my problem was over. After fitting the six 3/8th bolts I tried the engine stand head and was able to get two top head tubes nicely positioned like you did Mathias but the bottom ones were just too short. So hopefully tomorrow I can make a similar plan to you Mathias. Wish me luck!
Will see if I can get a picture of my efforts tomorrow. Sorry about the long story, "it is what it is". 8)

Mervyn

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Just need to buy two longer bolts for the bottom tubes, what is there currently are temporary thin threaded bar.
Mathias, thank you for your picture yesterday it really helped me with my setup. :buddies:

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Mervyn Spencer wrote:Image
Just need to buy two longer bolts for the bottom tubes, what is there currently are temporary thin threaded bar.
Mathias, thank you for your picture yesterday it really helped me with my setup. :buddies:
Good job! Nice to see I was able to help you out a bit.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I'm impressed with the strength of the engine stand no bowing just firm.

As it is notable the block had a acid bath before the new sleeves, bearings etc. were fitted. Now my issue is to wipe down the block to rid any oil etc. with out getting degreaser onto the pistons and mating surfaces, this also applies to the head. I think I will hand paint the block with primer and once the paint on the head is flattened fit the head and spray with my synthetic enamel. Any suggestions are welcome.

Mathias, I'm still trying to work out what you used as the cross piece, is it some channel iron?

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

[quote="Mervyn ]

Mathias, I'm still trying to work out what you used as the cross piece, is it some channel iron?[/quote]

It's just an I beam, I cut off a bit on the back, so it will go flush with the engine

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Looking at my picture can anyone see where I messed up with the engine mounting head, what an idiot I am. :cry:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

The two lower black tube bolts were too long so that I could not turn the block. I had to make up two new arms out of 25x 5mm flat bar which then allowed me to turn the block. I wiped down the block using benzene which cleans and stops the rust that quickly develops on the cast iron if left to long after washing it down with water, then painted two coats of red oxide on the surfaces not requiring any form of a gasket. I also sealed the top of the block so that the cylinders remained clean, I want to paint a 2 x primer coats on the block before the top coat, then its a case of reassembling the engine.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Great to see you are making progress. Finally I am able to get on the forum which I have been unable to do in whilst in the U.A.E. Your paint job on the wheels look great. As I said in my email I purchased an engine stand and had my engine bolted to that whilst I did the rebuild. I also cleaned everything back to the bare metal using industrial paint stripper and wire brushes on the drill. I then coated the aluminium parts in etching primer and everything got 2 coats of zinc oxide primer. I waited until it was back in the tractor before everything was coated in the Fordson Blue as I didnt want to mess up the paintwork lol. Keep up the great work and keep posting the pics of your progress. :beer:

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Welcome back Charlie, glad you are now able to get onto the forum again. Thanks for the compliments much appreciated. My center disks look fairly satisfactory for me but I think my attempt to spray the rims was not to my satisfaction.
My tractor mechanic friend up the road from me came and picked up my engine block and all that goes with it to rebuild it this afternoon. He suggested that I buy a spin on oil filter and fuel filter to simplify things, I'm not going to show my Dexta so it does not have to be authentic. I also need to replace a combustion cap, as the cup on the inside of the one cap has separated, if you go back a few posts you will see my pictures of my broken combustion cap. Apologies, a senior moment, I will put them sometime soon Getting back to the spin on filters does anyone know whether they are still available, my parts supplier says no :? Surely if the MF 35 has the same block their spin on filters should be okay for the Dexta.
Charlie I will put up some pictures when my engine is back for you. Take care.
Mervyn.

http://postimg.cc/R3F65TqY
Pic of the separated combustion cap.

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
I see the problem with your combustion caps. When I refitted mine during my engine rebuild I could not get them to seal even after replacing the gaskets. An old friend of mine advised me to replace them as usually after removing them they never reseal properly. I purchased a new set from Mayhill tractors and ive never had any problems. The spin on filter conversion is still available and Mayhill also sell this. Here are the links to new caps,gaskets and spin on filter kit.
https://www.mayhilltractors.com/fordson ... uct_id=496
https://www.mayhilltractors.com/fordson ... uct_id=130
https://www.mayhilltractors.com/fordson ... uct_id=419

P.S. Old20tractorparts also have the parts you are looking for but cant see the spin on filter kit. Maybe worthwhile dropping Nick an email and see if they can supply. They also ship worldwide. Ive purchased a few parts from them and they are very helpful. :beer:

Regards
Charlie.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Charlie

Thank you for your valuable advice on the combustion caps. They exact same caps are available in South Africa for around the same price, the only difference is the damn shipping cost which can add 100% to the purchase price plus a custom duty fee, the later being a big rip off from our revenue office. I have ordered a spin on oil filter and washer that goes under the big bolt that bolts the pulley on, and am contemplating a spin on fuel filter. I must also order a new sump filter cover as mine is very out of shape. Are you aware of a almost concave washer that fits over the camshaft in front of the crankshaft gear, I believe it prevents to much oil against the oil seal in the timing gear cover. I have looked at the parts list but not there. Slow progress is being made on rebuilding the engine, I think tomorrow my buddy mechanic will fit the fly wheel and pressure/clutch assembly, cant push him to much he is 74 years old :) .

charlie63
True Blue

Post by charlie63 »

Mervyn,
Very similar to the costs of importing any parts here as well. The government have to get their cut with the taxes.
I had a similar problem with my mesh filter in the sump as it was all distorted and also had a few holes in it. I ordered a new one to find it wasnt the same. The only way I managed to get a replacement was to buy a complete sump from a breakers so now I have a spare sump.
You are correct about the concave washer in that it prevents too much oil hitting the oil seal. I have never had to replace these and you should be able to refit the old one.
Hopefully you have made more progress and managed to get the clutch assembly etc refitted.

Charlie.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

Charlie,
Its strange you say that about the taxes, if you by online e.g. Amazon they deliver direct to your home without any further payment unless it is all included in the original order? A couple of Christmas' ago my daughter sent my family some gifts via the Post Office and long story short we had to pay a value more than the price of the gifts. Enough about the shipping!

Wow that was unfortunate about your sump strainer cover but give the extra sump to your wife to plant some roses in it :). My old mechanic who is putting my engine together rejected my strainer cover and told me to buy a new one. As you experienced they are not easy to get, none of the suppliers here sold them either. Fortunately I had the original engine of my Dexta and I removed its strainer which was in a much better condition and was not condemned by my buddy mechanic :) . I was fortunate with been able to buy that concave washer to my surprise, however the diameter was about 3mm to big but easy to turn down, not sure if it was meant for a MF35. Strangely there was not one on the crankshaft when I opened it up. The engine is almost complete short of the sump, a couple of the head blot threads were messed up but again I was able to recover 9 bolts from my old engine, all in good state. I did take some pics of the engine which I will try and upload now. Take care. Can't understand why my uploading is timing out :?: I will try again tomorrow.
Mervyn.

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

We have picked up a slight issue with one of the shorter clutch release levers of the assy. having lost tension, my buddy mac will look into it this week.
Last edited by Mervyn Spencer on Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.