first lot of problems with the Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

first lot of problems with the Dexta

Post by MickL »

day one, I took the Dexta for a quick drive around the yard and within a few minutes it was smoking hot...

engine hot - radiator cold, likely stuck thermostat, pulled radiator today and will give it all a good clean, it has a single blade fan (2 blades) but no radiator cowl....

the previous owner said it was always like that for the last 17 years, would i be correct in saying that it should have 4 fan blades and the radiator cowl?

any advice appreciated
Last edited by MickL on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlie63
True Blue

Re: first lot of problems with the Dexta

Post by charlie63 »

Hi Mick,

Welcome to the Forum. It sounds to me like you may have a stuck thermostat. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but remove it and test it in boiling water to see if it opens. For all the price of a new one maybe just as well replacing it. Make sure it has a small orifice in the large flat part. This stops it from air locking. It should be fitted with a fan cowl as this aids the cooling of the radiator. The fan on the Dexta is a 2 blade one so that is the correct one fitted. Good luck.

Charlie.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

Thanks Charlie, I have the thermostat out and I will test it in boiling water today, I am also going to pressure test the radiator for leaks and do a basic flow test on it today to see how it passes water or if is blocked, if all goes well I will get a radiator cowl and reassemble, thanks for the info on the fan, after looking at the design of the radiator I can see it would be very efficient at cooling if in good shape.
cheers mate

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

Thermostat out first, check rad clear in an out, only then think about a fan cowl which wouldn’t be necessary for trundling round the roads.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

Old Hywel wrote:Thermostat out first, check rad clear in an out, only then think about a fan cowl which wouldn’t be necessary for trundling round the roads.
that's good to know that the cowl isn't a critical item, however the main purpose for the Dexta is to keep the grass under control and its also summer here so If I can get a cowl for it I think that would be a good idea.

thanks for the info

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Sorry, but a fan cowl is an important piece. It will create a much better air flow. It's available from new
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I take it you are from Australia, under those circumstanses I would believe you require a 4 blade fan even though you are only cutting grass. I live in South Africa where it can get as hot as Australia and I have 4 blades. This info I learnt from this forum many years ago, my opinion. :scratchhead:

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

thanks for the replies, I am in the process of reassembly, I had the water pump off today to check it all and clean it all, If I cant get a fan cowl and an extra blade, I might go for an electric thermo fan in the short term

Mervyn Spencer
True Blue

Post by Mervyn Spencer »

I'm sure that those blades are available at a breaker. Its a pity you live so far away I have two blades from my spares which you can have.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

thanks Mervyn, I appreciate the offer, I will get something suitable and make it work

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

MickL wrote:thanks for the replies, I am in the process of reassembly, I had the water pump off today to check it all and clean it all, If I cant get a fan cowl and an extra blade, I might go for an electric thermo fan in the short term
making a fan cowl might be easy to make yourself.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

kiwiland dexta
True Blue

Post by kiwiland dexta »

Open the tap on the block as well and flush it out with a running hose, refill with some decent coolant once you have the cooling issue sorted.
Don't think of these things as "problems," they are just a classic tractor getting to know you!
Whereabouts in the big red are you?
you know it's a classic when people stop to watch.

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

I am in Victoria mate....

I got it all back together over the weekend, gave it all a good flush out and it is running perfect. drilled a couple of small holes in the thermostat to eliminate any air locks and it is much better. I also picked up another fan blade on ebay so when I get that on plus a fan cowl I think it will all be good.

I must say tho, I was surprised how much air the single blade fan seemed to move. I have just got to do some rust repairs on the mudguards and build a ROPS for it and then maybe some paint

MickL
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MickL »

I gave the Dexta a run with the slasher/mower on today, after about 1/2 hour she was running great, no overheating issues whatsoever... I stopped and checked a couple of times and it was all good