rear axle bearing play

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
peter2
True Blue

rear axle bearing play

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

I had to change a bearing in the brake shaft of my Super. As I had to get the big gear out for that I changed the outer wheel bearing and sealings and resealed the whole axle. One spot less for marking my territory :-)

Question: How much play is needed for the axle? I marked all positions of nut, gear and shaft, but that was much to loose after refitting. My workshop manual tells me something about 40-45 inch-lbs, which converts to about 5Nm as a torque for rotating the axle? Maybe I understand it wrong, but only the felt seal in the axles makes more torque.

Actually I have the gear (and nut) installed with very little (but not zero) play, as there may be some movement needed if things become warm.

Peter (made interesing findings in the oil with a magnet ;-) )
1963 Super Major

Kjetil
True Blue

Re: rear axle bearing play

Post by Kjetil »

Hi

I see you haven't got any reply on your post.

I am in the process of changing the seal on the rear axle, and would very much like to learn from your experience, or any others experience.

What was your conclusion about the torque for rotating the axle?

Was you able to buy a felt, seal and retainer that fit the Super, or did you have to modify the retainer.

I have seen some oter posts here were it seem that the retainers needed to be modified

I don't see a need for changing the bearing, as it seem to be OK. But I am not sure if it is possible to remove it without destroying it. Anybody have an idea?
A special tool was available, but not anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Regards Kjetil Grytnes

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

I could not do it without destroying the retainer.
I have turn the nut by hand untuil there was no play and than put the pin to secure the nut in. Works fine so far.
It did'nt help much do, it's still leaking.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Kjetil,

since my repair there were no negative effects or sounds regarding the play of the axle. Seems ok so far, but if there is any problem with too low play, the power of the tractor will go over it an you'll notice too late.

I used this sealing and did no modifications. https://histoparts.com/achterwiel-keerr ... on-major/3

I changed the bearings, because everything was dismantled anyway.

Peter
1963 Super Major