62 super major starter and injector rebuild

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Livewire84
True Blue

62 super major starter and injector rebuild

Post by Livewire84 »

I have a 1962 super major. I am looking for a injector rebuild kit, and found a injector tip replacement online. The replacement tip advertisement, says it is suitable for a Fordson super major as well as a older Ford thousand series, like a Ford 4000. Does this sound correct ?
They both use the same tip, and same size sealing rings at the top, and copper washer at the bottom of the injector ?
I am also looking at having to get a new starter possibly.
My starter now is the original handle activated starter type of Lucas starter. It is a m45g, I believe.
I was going to have it rebuilt, if possible but found one online that says it a direct replacement for a Fordson Super Major, for a pretty fair price.
My question is all the original Fordson ads say the starter has a 11 tooth pinion. The older Ford 4000 series series starter, that supposedly will fit a Fordson and a Ford has a 10 tooth starter pinion . Does anyone have experience will converting to this style starter, as it is alot easier for me to acquire than trying to find a shop to rebuild the original Fordson starter.
Will the 10 tooth starter work in place of a 11 tooth starter ?
My original thoughts are no, but was hoping someone had tried it before, with possible success.
Thanks ahead of time !

peter2
True Blue

Re: 62 super major starter and injector rebuild

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

I bought a new starter for my 1963 Super Major a few years ago from Ebay and didn't notice that there is a difference in the number of teeth.

The starter looks like the originan Lucas starter but without any numbers on. It was a direct replacement without any difficulties.
The rotation speed is faster than the old one, so my Super starts better than before. My Super is a bad starter and needs a lot revs to start.

Cost was about 250 Euros.

Peter
1963 Super Major

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

I just replaced my starter with a solinoid style one i found on amazon. It has the 10 tooth not the original 11 tooth. Works fine. My old one was the same. The previous owner replaced it and got rid of the handle.... well my push button to stsrt it froze up the other dayand chewed the starter apart.... oh mines a 57 major

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Thank you both very much for your replies.
I am going to go ahead and switch to the solenoid type, Ford 4000 starter as well, since it worked for you both.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

I’d be cautious of buying a 4000 starter. Aren’t the mounting flanges different?

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

I honestly don't know anything about the starter fitment. Maybe someone that has already converted their major to the newer starter can comment on that.

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hi,

Can't comment on the injectors. But the newer starter will fit, although I would prefer the original design. The pre-engaged starter really makes it a Fordson imho.

If your tractor needs lots of revs before starting it might be time to check valve clearances, injectors and fuel filter. Even worn out, these engines will start very well.

rgds

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Livewire84
True Blue

Post by Livewire84 »

Thank you all for replying about the starter fitment.
My tractor usually fires up, after 3 to 4 good revolutions, with a strong battery and starter.
Luckily I tested my battery voltage and noticed my battery was charging at almost 17 volts, at a raised rpm. !
I had the battery tested and it tested bad.
Only about 400 cold cranking amps.
I swapped batteries with another old one I had, and the charging volts went back down to 14.2 volts, so I definitely had a bad battery.
I have to get a new battery with the capable cranking amps before I can say for sure the starter is at fault, but at atleaat I know there is a way to aquire a starter quickly if I need to, thanks to you all.
Thanks again !

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

throw in a optima battery and forget about the battery for the next 10 years or longer.
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964