New Members Super Dexta

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

New Members Super Dexta

Post by AndyRo »

Firstly, thanks for allowing me to be part of the forum. Obviously a great place for Fordson enthusiasts!

My Fordson is a 1964 Super Dexta, the family's pride and joy. Was originally my Grandfather's and is now mine. She's currently undergoing an overhaul at present to get her back on the road for odd jobs about home, including hopefully splitting logs for the fire. This is after lying in the shed for several years due to my father suffering an illness, but to his delight I have her back to starting on the first turn :D

Some questions I would appreciate your advice on are as follows:

1. A small item, but has been missing for as long as I remember, is the metal stop cable clamp that holds it in place at the fuel pump end and prevents the stop cable from moving other than to stop the engine. Where would I get this item? Doesn't seem to be noted in the parts lists.

2. The grease nipples, I take it I would need to grease them all up again as part of my service/overhaul and if so, what grease gun do I use and what grease (complete novice, I know)? Also, is there a diagram available of all the parts that need this done in case I miss any?

3. I have cleaned out the air filter oil bath and renewed the oil. Also in the process of renewing the engine oil, filters and rear end oil. Anything else I would need to do as part of a general service/overhaul after lying for so long not being used?

Thanks in advance, Andy

Old Hywel
True Blue

Re: New Members Super Dexta

Post by Old Hywel »

Gearbox oil? It’s separate from the back end.

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Hi, thanks for your reply. Never even knew that :shock:

How do I go about replacing that oil?

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

There is available here on this forum the user and workshop manuals to enable you to get everything done.
As a guide, the sump takes 7.2L (12pints) (including oil filter), Gearbox 13L (23pints), Rear Axle 19.3L (34pints) and the steering box 2 1/2 pints. All 20W-40 weight oil.
If your going to use a Log Splitter then a Hydraulic oil return is required. This is usually done by tapping the Rear Axle filler cap to a BSP thread (1/2" usually) with an elbow to accommodate a quick release Hydraulic coupling. If your external services pipe is fitted with the original coupling then replace with a QR type as it makes it all so easy.
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

That's exactly what I did when connecting my log splitter and it worked a treat :clap:

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks guys, must look into that and get it sorted in the near future.

Appreciate the advice.

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Further question:

I'm replacing the dash lights as she never had any in our time....what way round should they go, i.e. green = oil pressure and should be on the left??

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Hi Andy,
I've seen them both ways. Davie's ones are green left and red right, but this might not be right. If you remember how they were before the overhaul, I would put them that way as it's very possible that that is the right way.
Hope this makes sense.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks Sandy, that's what I'll do. The green is currently on the left for me so I'll keep it that way.

Old Hywel
True Blue

Post by Old Hywel »

OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT
This is the green light on the right of the instrument panel.....

GENERATOR CHARGING LIGHT
This is the red light on the left hand side...

Dexta Handbook, p11.

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Hi Old Hywel,

Thanks for your input. I searched warning lights within the forum and another member stated the following:

"The Ford/Fordson standard is Generator light on right, oil light on left. Think the artist made an error in the operators manual.

On the Dexta the lights can be moved but on the Super Major and '000nd series where the indicators are part of the instruments this is how they are laid out."

Also, someone else said that pg 70 of the Dexta book showed the generator light on the right, which means the book itself contradicts itself :?

MikesDexta
True Blue

Post by MikesDexta »

It's a moot point and for my ten pence worth Red = Danger = Oil Light. I realise that this logic wasn't applied 60 years ago but some Fordson designs were just plain wrong (I'm still suffering from PTSD due to the crappy primer pump design leaking fuel into the sump :cry: ) so I wired the red lamp to the oil sensor and green to charge regulator which works for me.

Your call obviously

Mike
1959 Dexta
I'm not retired just re-deployed

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Whichever way you have them, basically they should both go out on starting and if either comes on in normal use then STOP and investigate! Yes you need to know which colour indicates which area to investigate but reg for oil or charge doesn't matter. Why not label the lights with an indelible pen?
INHO
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks guys. Yeah, always thought the red should have been the oil light with red meaning danger. I'll just decide and stick to it then anyway so I know which means what. Definitely varied ideas on this though. Even noticed this between Dextas at local vintage rally's.

Another question...where the return oil pipe from my log splitter goes in at the back end, by removing the large nut, is there a name for this nut or part number so I can keep the original and order a spare that can be drilled out for a coupling/valve?

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Many Tractor spares people do them, search for "Ford Transmission Filler Plug".
Choose the more solid type rather than the alloy type as when you drill and tap it there isn't much meat left on the nut part.
https://old20tractorparts.com/dexta/168 ... 40124.html Drill it through and tap it 1/2" BSP thread and you'll need an elbow too.
Cheers
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK

Les bryant
True Blue

Post by Les bryant »

Just use a 2incn bsp reducing bush . Les .

AndyRo
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by AndyRo »

Thanks guys. Must look into getting that sorted :beer: