super dexta not running on No1 cylinder

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
62dexta
Not Quite Blue Yet

super dexta not running on No1 cylinder

Post by 62dexta »

Hi I recently brought a super dexta, it ran fine on all cylinders and had no odd noises, i drove it a few times i started it and moved it stopped it then came back a hour later to move it again and it will now only run on the middle and rear cylinder. initial thought was the injector stopped working or was blocked / stuck open because the exhaust gets wet like diesel not oil. so i changed that for a new one but it didnt change anything. Diesels are a bit of an inigma to me as i have grown up only with petrol vehicles (rebuilding many) so my uninformed guess would be the starting plunger on the injection pump has got stuck, with this in mind i took the cover off the side of the pump and flushed it out with a cleaner and also did the same to the plunger and shutoff arm. this made no difference. There is no water in the oil or visversa there doesn't look to be any leak from the head gasket no noise etc, the valves are going up and down fine. The fact it ran fine before i stopped and it wasnt hot, only ran for 10 mins before shut down, leads me to believe its the pump but i am hoping someone on here can help.
thanks
Grahame

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Re: super dexta not running on No1 cylinder

Post by Jerry Coles »

Sorry to hear of this.
Have you loosened all three unions at the injectors and cranked it over to see if you have fuel spitting from all three unions?
If you have no delivery to No1 then I would get the injector pump serviced.
What is your fuel level? It might sound like a daft question but make sure the fuel level is up and you have a good flow through the filters to the Pump.
Check the lift pump as it may not be pushing enough fuel through.
IMHO
Jerry
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Jerry Coles
True Blue

Post by Jerry Coles »

Where are you located?
Jerry Coles
Camerton, Bath, UK
West Highland White Terriers, Dexta's, E27N's and DUKW's

Farmerg
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Farmerg »

Loosen the fitting on the suspected cylinder injector and look for a small fuel spitting, and do a cylinder compression check. Things can happen quickly with machinery.