Super Major Problems Help

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major Problems Help

Post by StuPash »

So after restoring my 1962 Super Major which was running fine and all gears were working, so I haven't touched anything on the gearbox, transmission and rear axle. When I drained the gearbox and rear axle there was only approx 20-30 litres of oil drained so low oil levels in both when I got the tractor. The engine is now running again but I am having trouble selecting gears and have been unable to get reverse gear. Sometime I select a forward gear and it is fine other times it trys to stall the engine and when reverse is selected always stalls the engine. I have jacked the back up and when in neutral if I rotate 1 wheel forward the other wheel rotates in reverse and vice versa(Diff lock appears to be working fine as is the PTO). So it has had low oil for quite some time and has been stood unmoved for the last 5 months. Any ideas on what the issue is as I am very confused.

Secondly while running, oil is leaking from the drain hole approx 6 inches rearwards of the sump drain plug(looks like has a split pin through the hole) but stops dripping after the engine stops. I hadn't noticed this before I started stripping down, but with the low oil levels may not have been evident. Guess this means a seal gone and will need a tractor split to fix(and an opportunity to check some other things as well). Any ideas where it may be coming from.

Any help/advice gratefully accepted

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Super Major Problems Help

Post by Billy26F5 »

Sounds like your handbrake is in trouble, and it's a gearbox out job if it's damaged. Try moving it to the off position (fully forward), never allow any movement unless it is fully off, otherwise it will weld up causing lots of trouble and damage. What colour is the oil? If it's black it's from the engine, if it's brown it's from the gearbox. See how much it leaks and try to see what level is going down faster if your engine oil is still new.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by StuPash »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:56 pm
Sounds like your handbrake is in trouble, and it's a gearbox out job if it's damaged. Try moving it to the off position (fully forward), never allow any movement unless it is fully off, otherwise it will weld up causing lots of trouble and damage. What colour is the oil? If it's black it's from the engine, if it's brown it's from the gearbox. See how much it leaks and try to see what level is going down faster if your engine oil is still new.
Sandy
The handbrake is fully forward to front locking pawl bolt. I would have thought if it was handbrake then I wouldn't get any gears at all and I am very confused with the wheels going in different directions when in neutral. ie turn one wheel forwards the other goes backwards. But when in forward gear both wheels go forward(with diff lock applied)

I have replaced the oil in both the engine and gearbox so it is the same colour unfortunately and not leaking enough to see any really change in the oil levels.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Hi, ignore the wheels going in different directions when off the ground, this is just how a differential works. When the tractor is on the ground in neutral, can it be pushed forwards or back or does it feel as if the brakes are on?
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by StuPash »

John b wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:46 pm
Hi, ignore the wheels going in different directions when off the ground, this is just how a differential works. When the tractor is on the ground in neutral, can it be pushed forwards or back or does it feel as if the brakes are on?
To be honest I have only tried it in gear while on axle stands and blocks not on the ground. When I do get it in a gear then when I apply the brakes you can tell the brakes are coming on and wheel rotation stops so wouldn't suggest a problem with the brakes/handbrake and if so you would presume it would be a problem all the time not just some times. Did think is it just all a bit dry and seized as there was really low oil in the gearbox(maybe only 10 litres)when I got it and it has been up on blocks for 5 months and just needs some oil and freeing up. Glad that the wheels going in different directions when off the ground isn't an issue though. The wheels can be rotated in reverse but when I put in reverse gear the engine just starts to stall.

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

You need to try and see if it will move when on the ground before you do anything else, but only by pushing it, don't be tempted to tow it. The hand brake is a transmission brake in the gearbox, and as Sandy says it can do some serious damage if it is forced. The foot brakes are obviously not a problem if you can turn the wheels but you need to make sure the transmission brake isn't jammed before you go any further. If it will move when in neutral and on the ground, then do some more investigation
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

If you were trying high reverse it will be more difficult to get going on the ground, but should be ok on axle stands. You might have a bad bearing, which would be a gearbox out job too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

It' s a bit confusing what you are saying that the engine stalls. Do you mean you are able to dip the clutch, select a forward gear but then when you start to release the clutch the engine sometimes starts to stall but not every time?? Also when you dip the clutch and manage to select reverse gear the engine always stalls when you start to release the clutch?? If it were down to an issue with the handbrake discs being stuck together the engine would always try to stall whether you were in a forward or reverse gear, you would not be able to move the tractor with the wheels on the ground and you would not be able to rotate the wheels together with the diff lock engaged, which you say you can do. Can you explain in a bit more detail??

As others say it is normal for the other wheel to rotate in the opposition direction when you rotate a particular wheel with both wheels off the ground, this is how a differential works.

It could be that there is an issue with the gear selectors so that reverse is still engaged when you have selected a forward gear, and vice versa.

With regard to the oil leak from the bell housing, have you had the engine stripped down and the sump off?? If so your leak is likely from the crankshaft rear oil seal.
Also it is likely that the oil seals in the PTO housing have failed, which usually happens after a number of years, and oil flows from the gearbox into the rear axle, leaving just about 10 litres in the gearbox. However this low level is unlikely to have resulted in damage causing the issues you report. We need more detail to give an idea what the issue is.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by StuPash »

Hi all. Many thanks for the advice. I decided to take of the Gearbox Cover Plate from the LH Side to see if I could see the Handbrake mechanism(which you can) and was all OK. But I did find that the top yoke on the cover plate had not engaged one of the flanges on the upper gear shaft. Checked everything looked ok and was free and then reinstalled the cover plate and hey presto now have all gears including reverse.. Regarding the oil leak I think I am going to drain down the gearbox and give it a run. If no oil comes out then presume it's gearbox side if still leaks then presume engine side.
So some progress.
Fitted new tyres all round this week so need to get all the wheels back on and will have a drivable if slightly leaky tractor.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Don't run the gearbox dry, keep the clutch pedal fully down in order to do this test. Seems someone mis-fitted the selector plate, glad to see it's just that. Enjoy your Major.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

Hi

Great to hear that your tractor is now OK in the transmission, and I am pleased that my possible diagnosis was correct.

As Sandy says, do not run the gearbox with a low oil level. If you use the tractor for a while the engine oil will blacken and if it is an engine oil leak this will then start to become apparent.

You will have to wait and see, it would be better if it was a gearbox oil leak from the first motion shaft seal, as this can be done relatively easily by splitting the tractor at the bell housing. If it is the crankshaft rear rope oil seal on the engine then to do this fully involves taking the engine out and removing the crankshaft in order to replace the upper half of the seal which sits in a groove in the cylinder block. You might, just MIGHT get away with dropping the sump and replacing just the bottom half of the seal which sits in a groove in the sump housing.

Fingers crossed!
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

StuPash
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by StuPash »

So yesterday I drained the gearbox oil and ran the tractor for about 10 minutes with the clutch depressed and no leaks. Refilled the gearbox and ran for a couple of minutes and was leaking again so at least I have proved it is the gearbox side seal leaking. With the nights drawing in think I will leave this job until the spring and if I am splitting it will give me a chance to check some other things such as the clutch and starter ring.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good to hear it's not the engine, I agree 100% with not doing it in the winter. Just keep the gearbox topped up reasonably.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

smchris
True Blue

Post by smchris »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:35 am
Good to hear it's not the engine, I agree 100% with not doing it in the winter. Just keep the gearbox topped up reasonably.
Sandy
Oh I don't know. getting the liners out and rebuilding mine in subzero temperatures was quite character building!

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

It would certainly keep you a bit warmer!
Sandy
ImageImageImage