Dipstick

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
John b
True Blue

Dipstick

Post by John b »

Talking to an old chap who used to work on a big farm with lots of Majors, he said 2 of them siezed up because the shroud on the dipstick came loose and slid up the dipstick, allowing it to go further down into the sump. The drivers didn't notice so although the oil level looked correct when they checked it was lower than it should have been, he said that after the 2nd seizure the boss always made a point of brazing every dipstick shroud in place when they got a new tractor!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

leeroy
True Blue

Re: Dipstick

Post by leeroy »

Going to check dip stick.....
Thanks!
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Had this on mine, only did find out when only about 5liters of oil did come out
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Sounds like this is quite common, maybe Sandy will know the correct measurement of the shroud on the dipstick. Apparently when the Nazis forced Citroen to build trucks for them during the war, Citroen lowered the full mark on the dipstick so the engines all failed after a few hours!
My biggest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my tractors for what i told her they cost

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Perfect, thanks Mathias. I shall check mine

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't have the measurement right now (200mm sounds right but I'll check tomorrow), but the shroud sits next to a bend in the dipstick, only just above the holding part where the rod splits in to three. This only applies to the later dipstick with a locating tube in the sump, the earlier type with no locating tube (used until 1250152) has a shorter measurement, 0.6875" less. Definitely keep an eye out for this, as what John says happened is pretty serious (but still recoverable!). Dexta's have this too, and they're worse to repair if it's not caught in time. Pics coming shortly.
Superb story about Citroen John, I didn't even know they had been taken over so thoroughly.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Billy26F5 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:48 pm
I don't have the measurement right now (200mm sounds right but I'll check tomorrow), but the shroud sits next to a bend in the dipstick, only just above the holding part where the rod splits in to three. This only applies to the later dipstick with a locating tube in the sump, the earlier type with no locating tube (used until 1250152) has a shorter measurement, 0.6875" less.
The distance from the top of the locating tube to the full mark is 6.0234375", 5.3359375" for the early dipstick with no locating tube. Late dipstick in the pics.
Sandy
Last edited by Billy26F5 on Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

John b
True Blue

Post by John b »

Thanks Sandy