Fordson Selene

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Selene

Post by Banagher »

Morning all.
Briefly,
Based in the west of Ireland.
I have a County Super 4 is great Condition
Diesel Major in need of work on the Steering and a new loom
Super Major Project with a Combine engine to be installed
And a Super Major selene that we are starting to strip.

Currently stripping a Fordson Super Major Conversion with a Manual 4wd axle with a Selene transfer box. The tractor is in poor condition with many issues to overcome. The tractor when purchased was on a backactor with a pto driven hydraulic pump. I had that removed prior to purchase as I had no use for it.

The strip down has started.
The Tin worm has destroyed all tin work. It will be replaced.
There is a query on the handbrake but we are reluctant to split the tractor is possible. Further testing may be wanted to avoid the task if at all possible
Exhaust Manifold to be replaced
Rad to be replaced
Fuel Pipes to be replaced
Electrical Loom to be replaced
Seat to be replaced
Steering Wheel to be replaced
No Hydraulic pump in backend. I have a spare but need the internal piping to get out of the backend.
I have to install a newer lift top as there were parts damaged on the existing.
Brakes are shot. Replacement Actuators and disks are on order.
Query Below
Back Axles are good with only some replacement grease nipples required.
Query Below

As part of research we have come across some "Tools" mentioned in the repair manuals that I was able to download from this website which have proven to be very very helpful and when combined with the Parts manual it is certainly easier to understand the parts and how they all fit. leading on from that I am interested in learning more about the following items.

The Repair manual mentions the use of a "Tool" to aid installing the Brake Actuators for example.
Has anyone on the a detail on what form the tool takes or a spec to follow? Can anyone help with the Spec of these items or possible purchase location of these items. I have a 2 Supermajors to work on and want to start on the correct foot.
Can anybody give detail on these other tools?
Axle Preload gauge T-4062?
Tool to remove Bearing T-4059
Tool for the brake Box CT-4063
Tool CT-6076 Section 4 Page 25

Any and all help would be appreciated
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Fordson Selene

Post by Billy26F5 »

You very rarely actually need the special tools for most jobs, they were mainly designed to allow dealers to undertake the quickest possible repair to reduce the time the tractor was out of action.The locating studs you can make yourself if you think you need them, pressing a bearing on can be done with any suitable spacer that will exert pressure on the cone itself (not the roller separator), the preload can be set by tightentng the clearance until you can turn the shaft freely but not spin it.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Thanks Sandy for your input.
Next question for viewers is this
The thrust washers on the brake/clutch cross shaft. The part parts numbers are
E1ADDN-2547
&
E27N-7508
Has anyone got a spec or am I going to far an just put in an ordinary washers??
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Can you post a pic of them? I don't know of anyone replacing them, but if you need to get some get good second hand ones as then you're sure they're right.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

I have a problem with brake seals. I am trying to source the brake housing seals with the ORM part number of E1ADDN -2773. Can anyone help with a source in Ireland??
Jim

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Hi,

for seals and bearings I go to a local supplier.
The seal you need has this size: 2-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 3/4
While you are there, you can also change the o-ring on the diff lock shaft.

Dunlop tractor spares is in North Ireland, Don't know if that's far away for you.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Just posted this elsewhere.
Sandy
Billy26F5 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:45 pm
I would see if Dunlop Tractor Spares have it, if not then I don't know of others in Ireland.
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Mathias1
Is the diff seals that you discuss in comment above the one shown on page 56 of the parts manual number 39?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vZObuG ... jUsZX/view

Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Part no. 116530-ES is the diff lock operating rod o-ring (part 39 in pàge 56 of your manual), and yes it is worth replacing while you're there.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Jim,

that's correct like Sandy wrote.
the size of the seal is 0,79" i.d. 0.103"
Since I could not find one in imperial I used 20,30mm x 2,62mm which is almost the same size.

Question: Do you have manuals/drawings of the Selene parts on the tractor? I have the opportunity to buy a Selene, still thinking about it.

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Mathias1
Re your question about the Selene parts on the Super Major, All that I have found to date is manual for a Roadless axle on the forum and can pass that on to you if it helps.
Jim

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Banagher wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 11:30 am
Mathias1
Re your question about the Selene parts on the Super Major, All that I have found to date is manual for a Roadless axle on the forum and can pass that on to you if it helps.
Jim
Jim, that would be nice. you can send it to info AT fordsontractor pages dot nl

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I think Jim is referring to a manual on the FFCN that I came across a while ago. I think it's only a repair manual, and doesn't have a parts section, but I'll need to check that.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Mathias1
I am going to be busy for the next few days at my brothers farm. Silage season and it’s cut in the old fashioned way. Single chop 60” taarup.
And so when I get a chance I will dig out what I have on the roadless axle and forward the link.

Going back to an earlier comment
The o-ring that we discussed yesterday, is that the reason I had oil on the old brake disks when we started the strip down?

How is that diff plunger removed to replace the o-ring?
Do I have to remove the final reduction gear as per page 56 item number 16 to than remove item 40? Or is there more. Do we strip the bul pinion out altogether?

Second question
We assembled the new brake actuators and new disks on the bull pinion yesterday. They won’t fit. Seems to be approximately 3mm thicker than the old and when the brake housing is pinned down we have a problem.
Are the spurious parts out of tolerance in general or have I neglected some other detail?
We have stripped all off again for the o-ring on the diff. Just need guidance.
Jim
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

To replace the o-ring you need to remove the bull pinion but not the final reduction gear. The oil in the brakes could be from there, but it's far more likely to be from the bull pinion seals mentioned in the first post. Looks like the aftermarket suppliers are at it again, they never seem to manage to get things right. Mathias can give you more details as he had that happen to him too.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Banagher wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:05 am
Mathias1
I am going to be busy for the next few days at my brothers farm. Silage season and it’s cut in the old fashioned way. Single chop 60” taarup.
And so when I get a chance I will dig out what I have on the roadless axle and forward the link.

Going back to an earlier comment
The o-ring that we discussed yesterday, is that the reason I had oil on the old brake disks when we started the strip down?

How is that diff plunger removed to replace the o-ring?
Do I have to remove the final reduction gear as per page 56 item number 16 to than remove item 40? Or is there more. Do we strip the bul pinion out altogether?

Second question
We assembled the new brake actuators and new disks on the bull pinion yesterday. They won’t fit. Seems to be approximately 3mm thicker than the old and when the brake housing is pinned down we have a problem.
Are the spurious parts out of tolerance in general or have I neglected some other detail?
We have stripped all off again for the o-ring on the diff. Just need guidance.
Jim
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Jim
First question: see Sandy's post. no need for dismantling the inside. When the brake housing is removed, you can pull out the bull pinion shaft. If you do both sides at once, there will always be one that's willing to come out. the other one you can persuade with a hammer and a bar.

Second question:
I had this problem also in the past. I did sand the discs to get some more space. But be sure to check the bottom screw is fully undone when installing, and lose the nut on the connection rod. The screw at the bottom has to be tightened up until it is solid and then back 1 and a 1/2 turns before you adjust the pedal clearance. take a spanner with you, just in case when the brakes get hot, you can lose the nut for the pedal clearance.

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Gentlemen
The plan is to refurbish the existing calliper’s and use new disks we then have clearance to install the brake box covers.
I don’t think machining the covers to take up the difference is worth the hassle.

Next point of attack is the hydraulic pump. The tractor didn’t have one and also the existing hydraulic top was damaged. Pump, piping and the new top are to be installed.

I will update as we go.
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I don't think machining the covers is a wise idea, I would have done the same as you're doing now.
Be very careful to ensure the top cover is lifted perfectly level for the first couple of inches to avoid cracking the feed pipe bracket, once you're in I recommend you look for second hand parts. Have plenty of capacity for 10 gallons of rear axle oil.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

June update
Back axle works complete
Brake works complete. We lightly sanded the new disks and it’s made nice fit now.
New oring in the bull pinion.
Brake & clutch pedal cross-shaft seal install completed with pedal looking good.

Moving on to the next issue.
Hydraulic top install.
We had a hydraulic pump but it doesn’t make sense on how to connect. In the parts manual page 70 it appears that I need to get the following items, 53 to 65.
As I said earlier in this thread, the tractor had no hydraulic pump and associated pipe work. I had a pump but I think it’s for the earlier majors. As it’s outlet is on top and that suggests it is for the earlier hydraulic top of the standard and power major.

Has anyone a exploded view of the connections to the sm hydraulic tops & assigned pipes?

Even better
In Ireland is there anyone interested in supplying that hardware?
Or has it to hand?
I am willing to pay or do a part exchange?
I have a Raised PTO going spare.
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good work. The top outlet is indeed on earlier pumps. Unfortunately I haven't found anydiagram, but if you look for these bits in a scrapy it should be a lot easier to sort out as you'll have removed them from the axle in the scrapy. I think there are pics of the fully equipped rear axle elsewhere in the forum but I can't quite remember where now.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Evening all.
Further update on progress.
Donor tractor sourced with the relevant pump and piping removed, cleaned and placed in the Selene. Oil pumps out of the pipe on turnover. The existing Top cover was damaged. Between a newer one and the donor tractor and the existing, we upgraded the hydraulic top. We were able to pool parts and get the top clean and ready for install. The smell “ div
Valve assembly on page 66 of the parts booklet, labelled 45, is not working.
We hav oil to the under side of the valve assembly but it is restricted. Is there guidance on what could be done with this unit and get it operating.

Is this the same as the Dexta?
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

The external service valve is the same as the later Dexta (it is indeed part no. 45), you might have a DAR valve (not included in this manual, it has a large vertical lever on the front) instead but I think that's unlikely as they're quite rare. I recommend you give it a good clean, open the flow control valve and close the external service valve and see if oil is leaking and where from, so that part can get a new o-ring (there are lots of o-rings in this assy and they often leak).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Thanks for the update Sandy.
I actually have a DAR for the super major and I may fit it to check it out but I want to get the existing Valve assembly working as the DAR is pencilled in for another project.

I have a 6 cylinder fordson combine engine and am on the lookout for a good quality sm backend for same.

Regardless I want the Selene hydraulics operating correctly as possible as I want to see what it’s worth when ploughing. I have a mate with multiple Dextas and maybe I can borrow one to check out on the Selene.
Also I will strip the existing one if possible. I am looking for a easy guide to doing this. Can anyone help?
Jim

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Try these manuals: http://www.fordson.se/6A_Hydraul_Suplem ... 01-024.pdf
http://www.fordson.se/6B_Hydraul_Suplem ... 25-050.pdf.
See also: https://fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/v ... 438#p57438
The DAR valve is covered separately in the Dexta manual (http://www.smallholderservices.co.uk/si ... hydraulics)
I like the idea of the six, avoid a dual clutch for it as they don't like the extra power.
Your friend with the Dexta's could come and have a go on the Selene to see what he thinks about the hydraulics, as he'll be fairly familiar with them (there isn't all that much difference between the Super Major and Dexta hydraulics in work, although parts might be different as well as the test load to check for leaks).
Sandy
ImageImageImage

Banagher
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Banagher »

Hydraulic update
The hydraulic system is not working.
Pump is perfect.
The arms operate when air is applied to correct point. I borrowed a valve top assembly from the Super 4. There is no movement on the arms. I suspect an issue with the hydraulic top. Am I missing something?
Jim