New performance major questions

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Roadless63
True Blue

Re: New performance major questions

Post by Roadless63 »

You do see some majors on the continent fitted with mechanical governed injector pumps, these were optional before the minimec started being fitted around April 62

Billy26F5 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:18 pm
I had always had the impression the minimec appeared on 4 and 6 cyl lorry, industrial and tractor in April 62, I think many industrial engines were fitted with the earlier mechanical governors well before then, which might help to confuse the issue. I definitely know that the minimec coincides with the Mk2 Thames Trader, for it was one of the main selling points (the Super Dexta did the same for the Dexta).
I would expect they used different ratios in the transfer box, as it's much simpler than different crown wheel and pinion sets, but I don't know.
Sandy

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Good stuff Ed.
For pics see this:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5024&p=53955#p53955
I thought the early mechanical governors were only on industrials, retrofitted to tractors when required, rather than an option. I did think the prototype for the minimec would be an earlier block, I assume they used it as a guide to design the new block.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

I've never seen a GV or GM governed engine in an agricultural tractor in the UK that was fitted as original and I don't think a mechanical governed engine for agricultural applications was an available option in the UK. Some of the industrial tractors had them such as those fitted with compressors where a more accurate governed speed was needed.

I once went to a farm in East Yorkshire to buy a running 590E engine listed on eBay with minimec pump that had come out of a Clayson combine. When I got there it was a one man band arable farm, a bit run down, the guy was retiring, there were 3 Clayson combines in various states of dismantling and one complete one he had already sold. In addition to the running engine there were another seven non running 590E 6 cylinder engines and eight non running 592E 4 cylinder engines in a shed, a full mix of vacuum governed, GV governed, GM governed and minimec governed! It seems when an engine went faulty in a combine or tractor such as cylinder liner seals going or picking up on a piston due to overheating he would buy an engine out of a breaker or buy a complete unit to break, but never repair the original unit - a mentality many small farmers posessed at that time.
Needless to say I bought the lot, all the six cylinder engines were immediately snapped up with much enthusiasm by a contact in Ireland, and the four cylinder engines did not hang around much longer either.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

I thought I remembered a GV or GM (I can't remember which) on a tractor, but it must have been a 6.
I would have struggled to part with all of those!
Sandy
ImageImageImage

EdWaters
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by EdWaters »

Hi, well I have the gearbox all apart now and inspected. As suggested..thank you, the bearing had failed and the other bearing on the same shaft on its way out. So I’m looking for 2 bearings
N-7118-D upper shaft small
N-7065-E upper shaft large
Does anyone have a generic part number for the bearings as the fordson part numbers are not coming up with much luck or out of stock.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

Unfortunately no, but if you measure them you might be able to find them, I think Ford used Hoffmann bearings but any of the typical bearing companies should have suitable ones. You could also look around a scrapy for a low hour gearbox with good bearings if you can't find them any other way. I recommend you look at the writing on the bearings themselves too, as that might also help to find new ones.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

EdWaters wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:22 am
Hi, well I have the gearbox all apart now and inspected. As suggested..thank you, the bearing had failed and the other bearing on the same shaft on its way out. So I’m looking for 2 bearings
N-7118-D upper shaft small
N-7065-E upper shaft large
Does anyone have a generic part number for the bearings as the fordson part numbers are not coming up with much luck or out of stock.
One seems to be nf305
Orher maybe 6406
But definitly check measurements before you order
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

shepp
True Blue

Post by shepp »

The bearings should have a standard number on the inner and outer races if they are original which should help you to cross reference them.

If you want a new gasket for the joint between the gearbox and rear end then Tyrone Tractors (also on Ebay) have had a batch done, I have bought 3 of them as it is the first time I have come across anyone with them for many years and they are a good quality thick gasket, but you will have to be quick they only have 2 left of the first batch and I do not know if they will re-stock. They also have full gearbox gasket sets at the moment.
1946 E27N, 1952 Major Diesel, 1959 Power Major, 1962 Dexta, 1962 Super Dexta, 1963 Super Dexta NP, 1964 Super Major NP, 1965 Super Dexta 3000, 1966 Major 4000, 1967 3000 PF, 1994 5640,plus Basildon built NH.

EdWaters
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by EdWaters »

Thank you, I’ve ordered both the main gasket and the gasket kit. Also those 2 bearing numbers where perfect and good value for money.