Starter barely turns

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Billy26F5
True Blue

Re: Starter barely turns

Post by Billy26F5 »

They can get very worn if not adjusted properly, and then changing the bendix is only a half repair as the ring gear is also badly worn, we did that on Billy ages ago and this is what came out:
He still has trouble as the switch wasn't adjusted until much later (the starter had gone to get the commutator cleaned among other things and came back apparently ready for fitting), this meant that early switching happened quite a lot, meaning more wear to the ring gear and a pinion that probably looks more like the old one than a new one. Anyone not used to it will still get into trouble as it needs a rapid movement to get the gears engaged before the starter begins to turn, to spite the solenoid having connected already. This might be the way forward for now for Hyacinth as well.
Sandy
ImageImageImage

leeroy
True Blue

Post by leeroy »

Very interesting Sandy. I'm thinking this only happens if I engage starter too slow. Then it grinds, then I slowly and carefully try again with same results. I will be sure to move the starter lever quickly from now on. Sounds like Billy and Hyacinth may have the same ailment.
When we first got her the wires were clipped off of the switch. I'm going to guess the previous owner had the issue and bypassed it by using a toggle switch.
1939 Ford 9N, 1952 8N, 1955 FMD, IH 340U, Ford 3600, Ford 2120, Valmet 646 Forwarder.

Billy26F5
True Blue

Post by Billy26F5 »

leeroy wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:33 am
When we first got her the wires were clipped off of the switch. I'm going to guess the previous owner had the issue and bypassed it by using a toggle switch.
I think that's very likely, Billy's previous owner (who also had the house) used to bump start him on the slope under the pine tree, never using the starter unless he absolutely needed to.
You can also see how different everything was back then.
Sandy
ImageImageImage