Hi - Looking for some help and info please- re major project

This forum is for discussions about County, Roadless, MuirHill, Northrop, Matbro, ETA and other Ford/Fordson-based conversions.
fergusont20
True Blue

Hi - Looking for some help and info please- re major project

Post by fergusont20 »

Hi

This is my first post, my name is Mark, we are a family of ex farmers from the uk.

Im looking for some info regarding a project im really interested in doing. Im a fergie/massey fergie and david brown man, so i dont know too much about majors, but i would like to buy one and do an engine transplant using a 6 cylinder turbo engine from another ford.

Ive had a quick search on google but couldnt find much info.

I wanted to know the variations in fordson major tractor models and suitability of using different engines, i just wondered if anyone on here can point me towards some info and pictures, or has anyone on here done this themselves.

I will shortly start to look around for a suitable tractor and engine, but obviously would like to know what works best.

I dont want to go too mad with the tractor, i will require use of hydraulics and pto, is this possible??

I must say i have seen some very nice pictures on this forum already.

A few pictures of some of our current tractors

i look forward to hearing from you

Thanks Mark
Last edited by fergusont20 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Hi and wellcome. The model that fits best together is a Super Major that has a 13" single clutch and a Ford 590 E engine. This has however no turbo. I have seen some put turbos on theese engines but they are not buildt for turbo. The newer 2700 Ford range has turbo on the newest models and they fit the bellhousing as good as the 590 E engine, but in other parts it needs more modifications.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Thankyou for your reply,

I think if i build one i would like to experiment with using a turbo, you say that the 2700 ford range have these 6 cylinder turbo engines. What model vehicle would i find one of these engines in?

I was looking at youtube last night and i saw a major on there using what it said was a 6cylinder cummins turbo engine, is that another option?

also on alot of these conversions i presume you mate up the new engine to the tractor gearbox, but i see some which are running 30-35 mph, is this by using the gearbox which came with the truck?

thanks Mark

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Ford Custom Cab uses the 2700 engine.

It is possible to use allmost any engine with a lot of work of course.

The tractors that goes fast often uses petrol engines with rews up to 5000 or more and in that case a normal transmission is enough.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Grani wrote:Ford Custom Cab uses the 2700 engine.

It is possible to use allmost any engine with a lot of work of course.

The tractors that goes fast often uses petrol engines with rews up to 5000 or more and in that case a normal transmission is enough.
Im not sure what that is exactly in the uk. Is there any places in the uk that have engines on their own? dont really want to buy a truck or horsebox just for the engine.

We have ford and iveco cargo trucks here, are they just 6 cylinder though with no turbo?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome Mark,

But a word of warning. You have come extremely close to being banned from this board!!! Firstly by posting pictures of the Grey Menace and secondly by suggesting that you are looking at "butchering" a Major. Why not fit a Perkins 6.354 into one of your Fergys!! :twisted:

Seriously though, I see a lot of 6 cylinder conversions that are "just dump any engine into a Major back end. It will take it and we will tie the other bits on with baling wire". Then I see the ones done in Holland and Grani's conversion. Henry Ford would have been proud to put his name on them.

Check out the 590 E thread on this board and see the care and attention Pascal is devoting to his conversion.

I would not bother with any of the later engines, my choice would be the 590E as it will virtually drop straight in. You will have to change the sump and again, you will find lots on this in that thread. Having seen it done, I like the idea of cutting two normal sumps in half and welding them together. This allows you to retain the wishbone axle support.

Have fun.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Hi Brian

Sorry for the fergie pictures, hopefully when i have a Major i can post some pictures of that on here. :D

I will have a read through the 590E thread, but i would really really like to turbocharge it, so is it easier to use a 59oE engine and turbo? ive just been looking at iveco 75E15 which are 6c turbos.

When i do the project it will be done properly, i like to take my time doing things and making sure they are right. no butchering here ! :twisted:

Sorry for all the questions, but i have so much i want to find out and ask.

----> heads to the 590 thread

Mark

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

just been speaking to a breaker in the uk who stocks ford/iveco 75 E 15 engines price seems very reasonable, he stocks earlier ones which are non intercooled (which i presume i would need) and later ones which need an intercooler. these are complete with turbo/fuel pump etc i said i didnt need the gearbox though. he is going to send me some pictures.

Anyone used one if these engines in a major? on paper it seems ideal but i know very little about this subject.

mark

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

fergusont20 wrote: Anyone used one if these engines in a major? on paper it seems ideal but i know very little about this subject.

mark
Here is an Iveco in a Major.
http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5357
Then when You skip the Iveco and are looking for a 590E it has to have mecanical governor (Minimec or Simms GM) to function with a Turbo. :wink:

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Grani wrote:
fergusont20 wrote: Anyone used one if these engines in a major? on paper it seems ideal but i know very little about this subject.

mark
Here is an Iveco in a Major.
http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5357
Then when You skip the Iveco and are looking for a 590E it has to have mecanical governor (Minimec or Simms GM) to function with a Turbo. :wink:

I cant see the link yet as im firewalled at work,will lokk at home later today, is the 590e easier to mate up with the tractor then? why is it you suggest the 590 instead of the iveco engines, is this because iveco has electronics/ecu?

thanks Mark

I know it is alot to ask, but has someone got a list or could they please post a list of the main suitable donor engines and the pros and cons of each one along with the work needed to make it work correctly

Sorry to ask so much but i am keen to learn.

Mark

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

The 590 E is a 6 cylinder version of a normal 4 cylinder Major engine, thats wy. Only the oilpan is different because it is not made for tractor use. It is cast aluminum and can´t take the stress of a tractor. The lower mounting bolts don´t line up with the gearbox and it has no place for the front axle support.

New engines is not our hobby. :wink:

A list of that would be someones lifetime job.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Grani wrote:The 590 E is a 6 cylinder version of a normal 4 cylinder Major engine, thats wy. Only the oilpan is different because it is not made for tractor use. It is cast aluminum and can´t take the stress of a tractor. The lower mounting bolts don´t line up with the gearbox and it has no place for the front axle support.

New engines is not our hobby. :wink:

A list of that would be someones lifetime job.
thanks, this is all stuff that i didnt know.

I realise everybody likes different things, some people the newer engines and some keeping it more original, the older engines.

I have just received some pics and info regarding 75E15 engines for sale,

these appear to still be in part of the chassis, brake fluid resevoir etc would need removing, not sure how you would go on with the electronics though????
Last edited by fergusont20 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

If I undestand it correct the Iveco engine is related to the 590E engine, like a grandson to them. :scratchhead:

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Grani wrote:If I undestand it correct the Iveco engine is related to the 590E engine, like a grandson to them. :scratchhead:
Im not sure myself, im interested to find out what work is involved in getting one of these to work in a super major.

Engine prices are around £500 which includes turbo/fuel pump / electrcis etc, i didnt think that sounds too bad a price, i wonder what hp these engines put out.

Anyone know of any other sites i can look at for more info??

thanks Mark

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

Google told that year 1995 an Iveco -FORD 75 E 15 Eurocargo RHD has 148hp

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Grani wrote:Google told that year 1995 an Iveco -FORD 75 E 15 Eurocargo RHD has 148hp
that is a hell of alot of power! sounds very good and id love to see one running.

need to keep my eyes open for a super major.

What is the difference between a super and the later new performance ones?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Why not go the whole hog! I have seen a Major in Holland with a Rolls-Royce Merlin fitted. About 1500hp.

You can fit any engine you like if you have the money and the engineering experience and workshop. I think you are aiming a bit high. A Turbo unit would be OK but that soret of power through a Super backend and you are asking for trouble. A Super has a weaker rear axle than the earlier Majors strangely. Ford reduced the size of the final drives and these broke up with a four cylinder engine.

The 590E at around 100 hp is as big as you really need to go if you want a sensible tractor. Don't worry about speed either,she will be very fast with a six because of the extra revs.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Brian wrote:Why not go the whole hog! I have seen a Major in Holland with a Rolls-Royce Merlin fitted. About 1500hp.

You can fit any engine you like if you have the money and the engineering experience and workshop. I think you are aiming a bit high. A Turbo unit would be OK but that soret of power through a Super backend and you are asking for trouble. A Super has a weaker rear axle than the earlier Majors strangely. Ford reduced the size of the final drives and these broke up with a four cylinder engine.

The 590E at around 100 hp is as big as you really need to go if you want a sensible tractor. Don't worry about speed either,she will be very fast with a six because of the extra revs.
i use 6 cylinder tractors, but if i do a major i would really like to do a turbo one, something abit different for me, i have a large workshop and reasonable engineering experience, with some very knowledge friends to help me, i'll get them on board anyway. Dont want to aim too high but fancy something alittle different for me.

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

hi there, i have fitted several 6 cylinders into majors.
the newer iveco engines will fit but only a few of the bolts will line up on gearbox without modification, also they are more often than not fitted in lorry on an angle so cab can fit over top, this means when you turn to upright the sump will be no good, also the piston have been leaning onto one side of liners and when straightend up can cause engine problems.
best to look for an engine from a bus or industrial engine as these are most often upright engines.
also as mentioned before the extra power and torque will require a strong clutch preferable single and a good condition gearbox.
good luck in your quest it will be worth it in the end
:D :D

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Mark,

I do not want to upset you, nor want to offend you, but why do you want to scrap a Ford for your project when you are a Fergie and DB man?

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Mark,

If you want some real HP :) and don't mind the older Ford engines (in stead of newer engines), may be this is something for you?
I think it's a 330 CID. It has a turbo (obviously not original).
I have been told, it has 250 - 300 HP. It's used for tractorpulling.

Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Some of the Ford D series engines were turboed from new at about 140hp iirr. I cannot remember if they were 330s or 360 (cu in). As already said (and I know next to nowt) the sump out of a early cargo or D series would be wrong due to engines being inclined. I think the reference to custom cab in an earlier post would be a D series in UK.

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Hi all

Thanks for all your replies
Emiel wrote:Hello Mark,

I do not want to upset you, nor want to offend you, but why do you want to scrap a Ford for your project when you are a Fergie and DB man?

Best regards

Emiel
I have worked on alot of MF/DB tractors and also my uncles Dexta, i just fancy working on a Major, im keen to learn the workings of another tractor. :)

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

My uncle Nigel's Dexta

Was a wreck when purchased

fergusont20
True Blue

Post by fergusont20 »

Its taken me a fair few months, due to other projects and trying to find a good'un but today i have bought this major.

Im guessing this is an E1A, The engine number says 1372202, can anyone tell me the year it was likely to have been made?

Has anyone got any links or info on the specs of this model

Engine runs really well with good oil pressure, all gears and high and low range good, pto and lift arms ok

Im looking forward to start working on it, i will keep you all updated and will be asking you all lots of questions!

The plan is to strip down, remove engine,inspect all remaining parts and replace or service where needed. I will continue gathering information on different engines and look to purchase on shortly. As you can see from the picture ive got too many tractors on the go really but its all good fun.

Thanks Mark