Newbie with my first project

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tiger
True Blue

Newbie with my first project

Post by Tiger »

Hi all had a look around the, Great site. Very helpfull

This is my first historic tractor and firstly i would like to correctly identify
it seems to have lots of random numbers i can't positively match it to one or the other

It has a badge saying Fordson Power Major

Numbers on the left of the engine L24A L26A
...................................................S .... F
Numbers on the engine 6050J
J3167FL
Under the seat L27A Axle 18L7 E27N 30106

Is it a Power Major or a E27N

Thanks

Chris
At the back, top of the hydraulics 1ADKN 35203
................................................. F2

Another unfinished project

Frans
True Blue

Post by Frans »

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the board, as I dont know much abouth the casting codes I think its a Major from september 1957, I cant see on the picture but I dont think its a Power major but a New Major with a new/replaced hood. it is not a E27
regards Frans

who's afraid off blue orange and grey
1960 Power Major Roadless 6 cyl conversion
1964 NP Super Major

Huzey
True Blue

Post by Huzey »

Hi Chris
Nice straight looking major you have there.
All the best
Huzey
I started off with nothing, and have still got most of it left!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Tiger,

Nice Major you got there.
Is it the first paint? The panels a fenders look excellent.

L 24 A: L is stands for September. The number is the date. A stands for 1957. So you should have a New Major Mark II from 1957, but the engine number is needed to ensure we are right.
You can find it above the diesel pump just under the cylinder head at the front end of the engine. There a small rectangle with a number. Also on the firewall there should be a number plate with the engine number. Should be between 1444787 and 1448456 to be a September major.

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/serial.htm
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks Henk

I will look on the firewall for the plate

The bodywork is in very good condition but unfortunately the engine is very worn. It blows lots of oil out of the exhaust and will only start with easy start. I will use her for the winter then hopefully rebuild the engine later in the year

Chris

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi

The only number i can find is above the injector pump.

6850J
J3167 FN

There is nothing on the fire wall except on the engine side by the pump a plate with service and starting info

Thanks Chris

henk

Post by henk »

Chris,

This is were my knowledge ends.
Maybe Brian has the answer.
Kind regards, Henk

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If the number is not under No.1 injector then try on the join between engine and clutch housing, behind the starter.

It is possible that she has been fitted with a new block which was made by Ebro in Spain. I wonder if the numbers you found stand for January 31st 1967 but it is not certain.

You may just have to go with the casting numbers.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks, will have another look tomorrow

Chris

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Brian wrote:If the number is not under No.1 injector then try on the join between engine and clutch housing, behind the starter.

It is possible that she has been fitted with a new block which was made by Ebro in Spain. I wonder if the numbers you found stand for January 31st 1967 but it is not certain.

You may just have to go with the casting numbers.
Hi, The only other number i can find i on the side of the box underneath the diesel tank behind the instruments. 1ADK7740 ??

Does this make any sense

Thanks HAPPY NEW YEAR

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Any idea on the Numbers anyone please.

Off to pick up a muck fork for my old girl tomorrow, sounds silly but i can't wait. I hope it fits :lol:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The number is on the side of the tractor in the area of the gear box oil filler. Another one is on the hydraulic lift under the seat. A further one is above the dynamo, under the manifold.

The number you have quoted is a casting tool part number and is the same on every tractor.

From the picture and the casting code you have given so far, I would be 98% certain that you have a 1957 Fordson Majo Diesel with the Mk2 engine, around 40 hp.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi all, So my engine is going to let me down soon and ive been offered an engine from my friend. He said it was running realy well about a year ago before it was broken up.

Just a couple of questions Please

What is the leaver on the front of the rocker cover
On the front of the engine there is an extra resevoir and pully which mine dosn't, I'am guesing power steering

What else should i look for regarding compatibility or any other comments welcome

Thanks Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Decompressor lever.

Power steering pump and tank.

That engine has had a new block as it is a NP Super one.

Should just drop straight in with a little bending in the fuel feed pipe.
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks Brian, I may try and do this next week. Will keep you posted :)

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi, So today i cleaned the engine off and turned her over half a turn to make sure she's not seized. I'am going to try and change engines next week. What other Jobs should i be doing at the same time. e.g Clutch. gaskits, Seal. Is there one or two clutches(sorry if that sounds silly. engine, pto) and one final question the cold start is a bit stiff can i take it apart and lubricate it. Thanks all any tips in advance appreciated Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are going to have to change the flywheel so I would put the old one from your other tractor on, Put in new pilot bearing, thrust bearing and clutch plate. Possibly a pressure plate as well but check the condition.

If you have a double clutch the same thing goes plus check the PTO plate. Carefully check for wear in the linkage especially on the pins which go through the ali. cover.

Certainly take the stop off the back of the pump and clean it out. Four screws at the back, you might also check the action of the pump rack, take the side cover off the pump and I would clean all the parts in there with a light brush and some Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF). Make very sure you do not get any dirt in here. If it has any rust, turn the engine to make sure the plungers go up and down and are not stuck. You could also check the governor diphragm as well.
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi Brian

Thanks for the information, Just out of interest why is the flywheel different and could you recommend somewhere for the bearings and clutch plate. Thanks Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The retaining bolts for the clutch will be in different places and, if you have a live clutch, the plates do not fit on the flywheel but the whole clutch does. The clutch comes in its own housing.
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi everyone,

I am going to try and start this on thursday and i would like to try and pre order the clutch plate and bearings, the bearing looks standard. would anybody know which clutch plate i need and is agriline the best place to order from. Thanks Chris

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi All
Rather nervous now going to start the change over tomorrow, i only have 3 days and i use my tractor all the time. please could anyone tell me the best place to get parts from and does anybody know which clutch to get. Thanks

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Unless you know which clutch you have we can't be sure but Agriline would be your best bet.

You may be pushing things to try and get the change done in three days, at the moment you don't know if your new engine will run.

Alow about 3/4 day to get your old engine out, possibly a day to get things changed over then two days to get the new one in and running correctly.

Don't try to rush it. It used to take me around an hour to get one out and around 2 hours to put one back but we wetre doing it every day nearly and knew exactly what to do.

You also have to allow extra time to take the loader off.

Good luck and be careful. :wink:
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Does anybody know what the pipe is coming out of the rocker cover, it goes to the air filter and my new engine does not have this

Had a good day so far, just hit one problem at the minute i can't get the locating lugs of the fly wheel and desperately need them before i can put her all back together, anybody know where i can buy them.

Thanks all

henk

Post by henk »

Great pictures Tiger.
Kind regards, Henk