Water Pump Rear Plate Corroded

This forum is about the Fordson Dexta, Super Dexta and Petrol Dexta.
EddieJ
True Blue

Water Pump Rear Plate Corroded

Post by EddieJ »

I thought I'd run something by you guys and see if anyone else has come across this issue.

We removed the water pump a few days ago and we were met with a lot of corrosion on the rear plate where the pump is attached to the engine.

Now the corrosion is mainly in the area where the edge of the impeller would be. I measured the depth yesterday with the vernier caliper, at the worst point its 6.5mm deep!!

Our intention is to make a thin 1mm plate (stainless maybe) and fit this behind the pump held on by the water pump mouning bolts and fit a new gasket between the pump and new plate.

We're aware that adding a plate may put the fan belt out of line hence 1mm thickness of new material. Any other suggesstions or comments are welcomed.

Rich & Eddie
-------------------------------------------------------
1962 Fordson Super Dexta (since 1970 ish)
Our workhorse currently undergoing overhaul
Follow us at www.fordsonsuperdexta.co.uk

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Hi Eddie one some of the first dextas there was a brass plate between the pump and timming case , a flat copper or brass plate would be better as alloy on metal would cause same problem over time, you could mybe fill the casing up with some sort of filler first if need be , there are a few on the marketthat might do , Gerry

Bensdexta
True Blue

Water Pump Backplate

Post by Bensdexta »

As Gerry says, there should be a brass plate between pump and mount on the timing case. I would say it's more like 2mm thick , than 1mm (can't remember precisely). See Item 28 (backplate) in Fig 19 of the partslist. Yours has obviously been removed at some stage.

Your corrosion doesn't look too bad, so long as there is still some timing case left! So should be fine if you fit a new backplate. Stainless steel should be fine also.
All the best,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

pottyperkins
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by pottyperkins »

I had a similar problem on this type of engine, i had water in the oil so changed the head gasket but it was still the same, it turned out to be a very corroded timing case and a small hole in one off the areas of deep pititng
I found a good used timming case and fitted a new water pump which came with a bakerlite type of plate to fit between pump and timing case

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

Thanks for the info. Just spoke to my Dad he says it's never had a plate for as long as he has had it. So it must have been removed in it's first 5 years assuming the factory had fitted one that is.
you could mybe fill the casing up with some sort of filler first if need be
forgot to mention that we were going to fill the cavity before fitting a plate.

2mm thick for the plate sounds better does anyone know a more accurate thickness?

Bensdexta
True Blue

Waterpum backing plate

Post by Bensdexta »

EddieJ wrote:2mm thick for the plate sounds better does anyone know a more accurate thickness?
Seems I might be wrong on the thickness. According to this post on the old site:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 01064.html

Tubal Cain says "I have refitted the pump with a brass backing plate, the plate is made of brass sheet 0.029" thick and approximately 4" x 5" ". That's less than a mm.
If he sees this, perhaps he, or someone, can confirm.
All the best,
Last edited by Bensdexta on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

The plate which I specified is an equivalent thickness to the original.

Gerald

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I took the water pump off of my Dexta, because a friend needed one in the middle of haying season. My timing cover looks just like Eddie's. I was going to take it off and TIG weld the pits, but I guess I don't have to. I'll fill them with epoxy and put a brass plate over them.

RossM
True Blue

Post by RossM »

Slightly different problem but still water pump related.

My water pump was rebuilt a while ago but its leaking out of what looks like a drain hole in the bottom behind the pulley. Does this mean the rebuild didn't work? Question is do I spend the money on a new rebuild kit or a new pump!
1964 New Performance Super Dexta - Shiney but still needs work!

EddieJ
True Blue

Post by EddieJ »

My water pump was rebuilt a while ago but its leaking out of what looks like a drain hole in the bottom behind the pulley. Does this mean the rebuild didn't work? Question is do I spend the money on a new rebuild kit or a new pump!
Unless you want to keep it original I'd probably go for the whole unit. A repair kit from Agriline is £15 and the whole pump is £35. You've already had it repaired once do it again and you would have spent nearly the cost of a new pump.

Whats the quality of the new one like though?

Thanks for the info on the plate dimensions.

Tubal Cain
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by Tubal Cain »

Leakage from the drain hole is an indication that the shaft seal is leaking, this may be due to a damaged seal or the fact that the seal is sticking on the shaft. When fitting the seal on the shaft it should be lubricated with soft soap or silicon grease to enable it to slide along the shaft.

You could try applying a little pressure to the sytem with the garden hose at the same time turning the shaft to see if this will seat the seal. If this doesen't work, I would strip the old pump down to establish its general condition and then decide whether to go for a replacement pump or a repair kit.

Incidentally I measured the thickness of the original brass plate from my water pump today and can confirm that it is 0.029" thick.

Gerald