Super & New Performance Super gauges - differences

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Super & New Performance Super gauges - differences

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Could somebody explain the differences between the Super Major and New Performance Super Major gauges? I'm interested also in the difference between the Smiths and AC products. Any photos would be great. I know a little about this subject, just enough to be confused! :scratchhead: :D
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Super & New Performance Super gauges - differences

Post by Dandy Dave »

For the RPM and hour meter, There is a left and right. If memory serves me correctly, the ones that the needle moves from the left is for the supers. This is because of the newer injection pumps and drives. I'm sure others can tell you more and will have photos. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi,

on my January 1963 Super Major the RPM gauge goes anti clockwise (0 is on right side). Actually I have one of this cheap repro parts without light. The first stopped working after 1,2 hours, this one shows RPM but does not count the time. The driving cable comes directly from the injection pump.

My Super is from France (with a french type plate under the bonnet) and had a defect RPM gauge with german text with it. This leads to another question: Is (or was) there a gauge with french text available?

Peter
1963 Super Major

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

This is my tacho gauge, u/s at the moment, taken off a September 63 NP Super.
How come Peter's gauge from a Super goes anti-clockwise with the zero on the right, but mine goes anti-clockwise with the zero on the left? :scratchhead:
I was watching this gauge on eBay (see link below). It has the zero on the right and goes clockwise. Confused?! Me too! :D :help:

Another question following up on Peter's - how many different language variations did the gauges come in?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fordson-Major ... 7675.l2557

Best

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi Adrian - that German tacho was mine until I sold it tonight - hence matching eBay name :D - I have several tachos - and they are super - but differant cause the early supers used Simms pump therefore the gauge ran normal - minimec pump ran alternative way - what I find annoying is why some tachos have the "gauge" in the bottom and othes have it on the top - why the two variants of layout ?! :scratchhead: I think we are all confused ! And as language variants go - I think it was only British and German -
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Peters gauge has the numbers on the top half of the clock ,it may be an AC gauge. Liam.

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

There are gauges with swedish text too, I have one. I don't know if the swedish one was sold with tractors in Norway or Denmark, but at least it wasn't sold with Finnish tractors.

In a nutshell the ones going anti-clockwise are the ones that have cables going straight to the fuel pump, and those are exclusively minimec-pumps. The repro-gauges have the scale from dexta, so they are incorrect.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

All super majors with minimec pump had clocks that ran anti-clockwise to suit the drive taken off the back of the pump. The new performance super majors are different because they dont have separate PTO markings for std and raised PTO on the face, just one (since raised PTO on NPM is same ratio as standard PTO unlike earlier majors).
I dont know why there are some clocks going with needle on top and some underneath, presumably due to supplier availability.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

AC gages. https://www.google.com/search?q=ac+hour ... 79&bih=744

Smiths gages. https://www.google.com/search?q=smiths+ ... r&tbm=isch

There sure is a Honey Wagon load of them. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Thanks everyone. Very useful info that clarifies the issue.
Best