Replacement front spindle differences with photos

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Replacement front spindle differences with photos

Post by Julian in SC US »

Hello All
I have been investigating the new replacement front axle spindles available for Majors. I know of several after-market sources- but their catalogs show different dimensions. I ordered a Sparex (S.65750) and a Barco (B556). The Sparex is listed as having a vertical height of 190mm (7.5 inch) and the Barco is shown having a height of 200mm (7.875 inch). That dimension is from the thrust bearing surface to the top of the splines. The photos show the differences. The dimension in the photo is from the top of the thrust bearing surface to the clamp bolt notch in the splines. The Sparex is the same length as my Super Major and Power Major and except for a smaller radius at the bottom of the vertical shaft, the Spares seems to be the same. The smaller radius on the Sparex also is handy because the new thrust bearings from CNH will not fit an original spindle with a large radius but will fit the smaller Sparex radius. The Barco part being 10mm longer is too long and in addition, the thrust bearing surface and the lower flange of the Barco part is much smaller than original and does not cover the underneath of the axle opening. The Barco part also has a larger radius on the vertical shaft like an original spindle but that means a new CNH bearing will not fit on a Barco spindle. The Barco spindle had the EBRO name in the casting. I think EBRO changed the front axle late in their production run of "Majors" and this might explain the difference. There is another supplier which also lists a dimension of 197mm, (7.750 inch) which I did not compare, and still another supplier that does not list the dimension. I have heard that Sparex has discontinued this part. Anybody have a good source for the correct spindle? At this point, the Sparex seems like the best for a US tractor.

Oscar
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by Oscar »

Very interesting post, Julian! No idea where you can find a spindle but I'm sure some of the others will be able to help.

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Julian,

Glad you sorted this out. A few years ago I renewed my front spindles. I had the same problem. At that time I wrote about it on the old board. And every one thought it was a strange story. So I’m glad there’s some one else out there.
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/F ... 00637.html
The local NH dealer supplied the longer axles to me from a Dutch supplier. They also had the Ebro brand. I have not measured the bearing diameter at that time. But my local NH dealer had the right size bearings for it. Also the clamp bolt notch was not in the right angle. I have returned them and bought a pair through an Old20 seller over here in Holland. They were two different brands but they fit.
Wrote about it on my site.
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/hmdetroije/
Than click on reparaties.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

Henk-
Thanks for your comments. Old 20 does not ship to the US so I am still trying to locate a proper replacement. At least it sounds like there should be a couple of different vendors. The single Sparex unit I did receive had been sitting on a dealers shelf for a while and I have not been able to locate the other side yet. The other mystery is the issue of the thrust bearing radius not matching up with the radius on the spindle. The larger radius on the original king pen will hold a new bearing with a small radius clearance off the bottom face a few thousands of an inch. I will keep looking.
Julian